Autonomous Cars

I agree with @Venusian Broon accidents will happen in the future. Of course they will but it's not like car accidents aren't happening now already.

Autonomous* cars are driving successfully on our roads now. As far as I'm aware the only fatality from an autonomous car was the Uber incident in March '18 and that was using, I believe, Uber's own designed and retro-fitted system. Personally if I'm driving an autonomous car I would only do so in a car which had been especially designed as such. My conclusion is that it is happening safely and now. There's still some way to go before the 'driver' can sit back and read a book, but with all the major manufacturers in direct competition with each other I expect the advance to be rapid. Bear in mind that, again I believe, the first automated cars only started being legally used on the roads about four years ago. They are developing very quickly.

Oh and regarding aeroplane autopilots, the latest ones will land the plane as well as the 'simple' flying between takeoff and landing.

* Autonomous cars still mandate being monitored which I agree is not satisfactory, but they are moving beyond that fairly rapidly. The autonomous cars are defined as occasionally requiring the driver to take control. As opposed to automated cars which "expects a driver to be fully aware at any time of the driving and traffic situation and be able to take over any moment."

They way it is now, there are far too many drivers unaware of their surroundings without the benefit of an autonomous car. :rolleyes:
I agree which is why the technology will only really be maturing when that is no longer a requirement. But I think that is just around the corner. A fully autonomous car will not get bored!

My conclusion is that it is happening safely and now.
Something that is true for almost all human drivers almost all the time now.

But I think we'd all agree that we don't think human drivers are as safe as they could or should be.

Here is an unlikely monkey wrench for the progress of the all electric auto piloted car. The number of sensors and devices on autopilot cars is increasing at a fast clip. The onboard computer, hardware interfaces and all the automatic controls that run the vehicle can now use up to 3 kilowatts of power. This puts a drain on the battery whose first use is devoted to making the wheels turn. Apparently it isn't practical for a small vehicle to put another battery on board. The battery has already been designed for best weight, size and power delivery for running the motor. A gasoline powered electric generator would fit the bill quite nicely, as in a hybrid vehicle.