DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2019 -- 75-Word Writing Challenge

Indeed, here I am, predictably predictable. Luckily, since work kept conspiring to make me forget to write today.

The Judge pays tribute to a master of detective fiction, while displaying a knowledge of flora and wordplay.

TheDustyZebra looks more deeply into the meaning of a bit of folk poetry, while taking on the role of a famous character.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

For whatever reason, I seem to have come up with a very short Short List this time.

Peter V as the best of the serious stories.

Bruce MacLean as the best of the humorous stories.

But the vote had to go to:

dannymcg for a truly unusual and compelling use of the theme and genre.

Last edited:
@The Judge .... A Philip Marrow Story – The Gardener Always Digs Twice .... Her Honor with more allusions than seeds in a pumpkin, but like that pumpkin it makes a delicious pie.

@TheDustyZebra .... Pretty-made .... TDZ channels a gardening Colombo as she sees the clues in the rows.

Just got a few minutes so I thought I would quickly post a sort of short list.

I say sort of shortlist - as I had a three-way tie and it took me a while to chose between them:

Stable, mosaix and J C Scoberg.

Then I walked up the garden and discovered the area I cleared three weeks ago is green again, smothered in dandelions, nettles and milky dashels. It just felt fitting.

Many, many thanks for the vote, Vince W. :):)

And many, many thanks for the stealth vote, Artoriarius. :):)

Then I walked up the garden and discovered the area I cleared three weeks ago is green again, smothered in dandelions, nettles and milky dashels. It just felt fitting

I read this month's theme, scratched my head in puzzlement, walked outside for inspiration but I was struck instead by frustration - another afternoon weeding! Thought I'd opt for a story all gardeners could relate too - and it worked! Thank you for the vote @Perpetual Man :)

A very interesting choice @The Judge and well timed for my voting prospects :)

I found I had a hard time with this. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for so my picks were kinda all over the board. But here's what I came up with:

Shortlisted:

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Killing weeds .... for a story that's a true noir.
@dannymcg .... Starry, Starry, Night .... for turning Roman foot soldiers into mob wise guys.
@LittleStar .... Under Late September Skies .... for turning harvest into a slaughter.
@johnnyjet .... The Flower Whisper .... for the best worst pun I've heard in a while.
@Perpetual Man .... Carrot P.I. .... for a real vegetable medley.

Voted for Victoria Silverwolf. I thought she had the best grasp of the theme and genre while still telling a cracking good yarn.

I may not get the chance to compile a proper list, just started my first teaching placement, but alongside my vote I'd like to honourable mention Parson's tale.

Thanks @StilLearning. That you thought to add the honorable mention later is even more meaningful.

I also see I got a stealth vote from @Cathbad .... Thanks so much! Talk about a day brightener!

Back