• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

AUGUST 2019 75-Word Story Challenge -- READ FIRST POST!

Stable

Watching you from upside down
Urban Agri-Fantasy

The aptly-named Gardner crushed something under his thumb.

“Leafhopper,” he said. “They transmit the zombie bacteria. These plants won’t flower now.”

He roughly pulled them up by the stems. Moonlight played across his coarse features. I scribbled hasty notes.

"Let’s get you to these vampire watermelons. They shouldn’t be dangerous, unless a few pin you down, so-"

He flattened us both against the shed.

“Is it the vampire melons?”

“Worse,” he whispered. “Lichenthropes.”

Tywin

I always pay my debts.
Supporter
A Man’s Word

The freshly churned mound already had some flowers emerging. Lilies. They had been her favorite.

“Well, Babe, I made you a promise.”

The sky flashed orange, cannon fire briefly illuminating the outline of the battlecruiser hanging above the city.

“But I’ve broken promises before. You know me.”
He fixed a lily from her grave to his battleworn armor.

The battlecruiser lit the sky again, rumbling batteries scouring the city below.

“Forgive me, Babe,” he said.

Hugh

Supporter
Turf Wars

I looked left. I looked right. No one.

Yet someone had made havoc with Mrs Mobbs’ hollyhocks.

My money was on the Slug Boys. But could I make them talk?

I headed for their hideout. Down past the brassicas. I edged along real cool. No way I was getting myself slimed up with slug gunk.

Suddenly, “Hold it there, pal!” Reggie Rabbit and the Radish Crew!

I know when to leave my greens. Real slow.

AstroZon

The Greenhouse

Blaise walked slowly past rows of vegetables and tended his treasured Granada roses. The greenhouse and adjoining bungalow were all that remained of Zytis-3’s once thriving HAB-11.

He grew tired, moved to the stool in front of the potting table, and put on Satie’s Gnossiennes. He heard the hatch open and saw Idina walk in carrying a tray. She smiled, poured him a cup of chamomile tea, and said warmly, “We shall remain here… forever.”

Bruce MacLean

The Swiss

Sucking on my oat milk smoothie, I checked the mark’s address written with soy ink on my sustainable paper notebook.

Pulling up the collar of my bio-leather coat, I crossed the road, my recycled rubber sole boots squelching in the rain.

The twisted plant fibre lock pick got me into the house and I crept up the stairs.

The bamboo spear ended him.

They call me the Swiss because I’m neutral, carbon neutral.

LittleStar

Under Late September Skies

Sounds dumb to say, but it was morning by the time the sun rose.

The reapers came in the night, bathed in the blood moonlight, all war songs and steel.

When the charge started, I froze, stiffer than a redwood in a summer breeze.

Dunno why, but they left me standing. Alone. A corn-yellow coward, rooted behind an army of fallen friends, watching birds pick at their husks.

johnnyjet

Western PA High Tech Country Boy
The Flower Whisperer

Okay, I talk to flowers, but don't call me flower whisperer or your chuckling days will be over, got it?

That's how I caught Big Mike. Hiding behind the greenhouse. The flowers directed me with their petals. Outside, a patch of cannabis waved me in the right direction. I found him in the shed, cowering. He knew it was over.

Like I've always said, it's good to have friends in high places.

J.C. Scoberg

An age-old dance
Sometimes I wonder why I bother.
No matter how many I put down more just sneak up through the cracks, uninvited and out-of-control. I give them the hard stuff, the back-alley juice you can’t buy in shops. Yet the wind-blown interlopers flourish like a venereal disease amongst freshers.
I’ve played the game long enough to know better, to just retire my trowel.
But here I am. And there they are.

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
Gone To Ground

Green's Records was on the corner of Yucca and Vine. Sgt. Pepper was playing.

“The name's Mallow, Philip Mallow. Green around?”

“Call me Fern. He's gone, Bud. Caught a 'plane. He was a plant and a grass and dealing weed.” A Woodbine hung from her cherry-red, lips. I pined for mistletoe.

“They're framing him and he's digging a hole for himself.”

“Don't give a fig.”

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme played as I left.