Did the Hittites have iron weapons?

Gordon Doherty

Have you seen Micheal Wood's TV series on Troy? "In Search of the Trojan War" - first broadcast in 1985. (It's on Youtube if you haven't!) It has a lot of answers....and questions :) . I'm not involved in the area of mythology/archaeology, other than being an interested layman, so I don't know if it still holds up.

Anyhow given the above, I do think the Iliad is a long memory of event around the time before the chaos of the bronze age collapse, a sort of 'golden age'.
Yes, Wood's docu was a core part of my studies. It's brilliant, and as you say casts up a fair few possibilities and unanswered questions.

The question of Troy's ties to the Hittite Empire is a good one. It seems that they had spells of strong allegiance and times of cooler relations too. The Hittite vassal system wasn't a set of hard and fast rules. But if we assume the siege of Troy stretched over 10 years, and a march from Hattusa to Troy would take roughly a month, plus a few months of mustering before that, it does seem odd that they don't appear to have gotten involved. Perhaps they were in a 'cool' spell of relations with Troy. Even then though, would they be happy to let the Ahhiyawans take Troy and encroach on core Hittite lands?
And the Sea Peoples? Yes, I reckon they were tied up in all this in one form or another. It's a mysterious and intriguing mix, eh?

Oh, and to those who have asked, I'll PM you my link - thanks for your interest :)

svalbard

Supporter
Have you seen Micheal Wood's TV series on Troy? "In Search of the Trojan War" - first broadcast in 1985. (It's on Youtube if you haven't!) It has a lot of answers....and questions :) . I'm not involved in the area of mythology/archaeology, other than being an interested layman, so I don't know if it still holds up.

Anyhow given the above, I do think the Iliad is a long memory of event around the time before the chaos of the bronze age collapse, a sort of 'golden age'.

I love Michael Woods and watched that series when it aired in Ireland during late 80s/ early 90s. I do remember it was a Sunday afternoon and I had to retreat to my room to watch it on a portable TV as my family had no interest. Must give it a watch on Youtube again. Isolating waiting on a Covid test result so plenty of time on my hands.