I've read this book once and that once was quite enough

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson . The archaic writing style in this book is godawful and I struggled to get though it .

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Because it is a traumatic masterpiece. I was 15 when my mother gave that book to me. And meeting Alex who was my peer, provided a very different perspective of life and of something called 'the system' I kept hearing from adults often, a very different kind of dystopia at that age. I actually think this book has gained new kind of importance in the last 10 year, esp. in relationship to The Catcher in the Rye. (A completely different discussion, not suitable for this forum.)

After that when I have read The Catcher in the Rye in late teen years, I didn't get why it was labelled so dangerous in the English speaking world. They kept squeezing the name of the book or Salinger's name into everywhere possible in movies. What do we know about Salinger? Alltogether! He was a very private person! I assure you, a lot of people out of the Western culture who has no idea of the book, remembers that a man called Salinger lived somewhere and he was a very private person. Poor man. Also I always thought all Holden needed was just a hug. He probably looks like a pitiful character to young generations today.

Yeeears later, as an adult when I saw Kubrick's masterpiece which was banned before, I realised I haven't forgot anything about it and it was there with all its abhorrent magnificence. Probably Kubrick helped a lot as he does.

I don't need to read these two books again for different reasons. None of it is because I think they are bad. They are just, is.

Last edited:
Friedrich Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. It was like wading through treacle and gave me a headache.

Aleister Crowley's novel Moonchild. When published in 1929, a critic said: Moonchild is not more fantastic than a thorough going "thriller", but it is also a satire and an allegory, full of disorder and genius.
Perhaps some black magician put a hex on my copy because I thought it was boring and full of crap.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Because it is a traumatic masterpiece. I was 15 when my mother gave that book to me. And meeting Alex who was my peer, provided a very different perspective of life and of something called 'the system' I kept hearing from adults often, a very different kind of dystopia at that age. I actually think this book has gained new kind of importance in the last 10 year, esp. in relationship to The Catcher in the Rye. (A completely different discussion, not suitable for this forum.)

After that when I have read The Catcher in the Rye in late teen years, I didn't get why it was labelled so dangerous in the English speaking world. They kept squeezing the name of the book or Salinger's name into everywhere possible in movies. What do we know about Salinger? Alltogether! He was a very private person! I assure you, a lot of people out of the Western culture who has no idea of the book, remembers that a man called Salinger lived somewhere and he was a very private person. Poor man. Also I always thought all Holden needed was just a hug. He probably looks like a pitiful character to young generations today.

Yeeears later, as an adult when I saw Kubrick's masterpiece which was banned before, I realised I haven't forgot anything about it and it was there with all its abhorrent magnificence. Probably Kubrick helped a lot as he does.

I don't need to read these two books again for different reasons. None of it is because I think they are bad. They are just, is.

I read A Clockwork Orange and once was enough . Ive seen the movie once and that too was enough .

Catcher in the Rye I read in High School and that too is book is I have no desire ever to read again.

I don't really enjoy re-reading books, even ones I've loved, so I suppose this is most books I've read. But the one that leaps to mind is Rich Shapero's Wild Animus, which I think was given out for free several times at the university I attended.

where do you live? I live near Boston and now a while I would see copies everywhere, like spam but in physical form. everywhere. one even landed in the free books shelf of the building where you live. he also came out with a second novel, with a CD of music accompanying it, that also ended up in the free books shelf.

where do you live? I live near Boston and now a while I would see copies everywhere, like spam but in physical form. everywhere. one even landed in the free books shelf of the building where you live. he also came out with a second novel, with a CD of music accompanying it, that also ended up in the free books shelf.
just looked for it in the amazon since i never even had heard of the book before. from what i read the writer probably was under the influence of lsd right? ;)

I just realized that one review of my first book actually says this.[The title of this thread.]
They give a good reason too.(Other than that it is long.)

On another note by brother has often said that he doesn't read books more than once and often leaves books he has purchased on the bus when he's finished.

I haven't asked yet what he did with the two of mine I have given him.

I was thinking that I could include.
Don Quixote
and
War and Peace
If I ever finish them.

I actually think this book has gained new kind of importance in the last 10 year, esp. in relationship to The Catcher in the Rye. (A completely different discussion, not suitable for this forum.)

While the forum may be devoted to SFF, in my experience if it's about books, it's suitable for this forum! :)

On another note by brother has often said that he doesn't read books more than once and often leaves books he has purchased on the bus when he's finished.

I do this too, particularly when I travel. I like the idea that someone might find it and love it or give it to someone that does. Better that than a book I'm probably never going to read again sitting on my shelf for years.

Mindstar Rising - Peter F Hamilton. It kinda felt SF like but the whole plot just fell flat for me, so I never carried on with the series.

V by Thomas Python once was definitely enough.:)

Last edited:

Back