I've read this book once and that once was quite enough

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe I could stand Moll nor any other characters in this wretched excuse for a book. How this abysmal book became a literally classic is beyond me.
And yet it has been in print for nearly 300 years, so it must have something going it.

If it wasn't for the fact I actually have read it twice I would add Moby Dick to my list! Highly recommended - if you're planning a career in Whaling.

There is, of course, an excellent short story in there... you just have to extract it from the 'How To' educational book.

Sounds like Rossini on Wagner: "(he) has wonderful moments, but dreadful quarters of an hour.”...

I'll add many of the later Pern books by Anne McCaffrey to my list - she does a lot of retconning, trying to squeeze characters that were invented afterwards into the action of earlier books...

I read a Weiss and Hickman book once. I really wish I hadn't. The same goes for The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb. That was rubbish.
I read all three of the Newcomb books, was before I learned just because I've bought the whole series doesn't mean I have to finish it.

Some book series start off good but begin to get a bit silly the further on they go.
Used to enjoy the "Dirk Pitt" adventure books by Clive Cussler, I recommend the early ones in the series as good no-brainer adventures, but later on they just got too silly!

Some book series start off good but begin to get a bit silly the further on they go.
Used to enjoy the "Dirk Pitt" adventure books by Clive Cussler, I recommend the early ones in the series as good no-brainer adventures, but later on they just got too silly!
I tried to read the first one but never managed to finish it.

Aside, from Sherlock Holmes, every mystery book I've ever read I couldn't read again. What would be the point?

If it wasn't for the fact I actually have read it twice I would add Moby Dick to my list! Highly recommended - if you're planning a career in Whaling.

There is, of course, an excellent short story in there... you just have to extract it from the 'How To' educational book.

Moby Dick was also one the best books I ever read, but hat too I shall not likely read again.:)

A Wrinkle in Time - just awful.

Catcher in the Rye - Salinger was just nuts and that book sucked.

Lord of the Flies - Not my cup of tea.

The last two volumes of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - Williams played leapfrog with the POVs like a school child.

Gift of the Magi - More of a short story really, but it was a tired old joke with a foreseeable punchline that attempted tragedy and comedy at the same time and failed both spectacularly.

Othello - Shakespeare, in my opinion, was long-winded, far too flowery, and more than a little pompous.

Back