Review: Star Light by Martin M. Clark

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
star-light.jpg

Starship Troopers meets Sven Hassel in this short but engaging read, in which we follow Earth Alliance Marine, Sargent Cooper.

Rather than a novel this is novella following a few distinct sequences. And the focus remains on the hard work of a frontline solider, as opposed to highbrow schemes and plots.

Clark has a superb writing voice, packed with punch and pace. The prose is snappy and sharp, themes moving between horror and the inanity of war. There's a very real feel of being in the future, and great use of military slang which combine to create an immersive realism.

It's not all grit, either, as character interplay and a sense of humanity among comrades shows through, and while the sequences don't have an arc they enjoy a good continuity.

The first edition cover is a little weak, but don't let that put you off - it's a cracking read inside. If you don't believe me, just read the Amazon Preview for yourself. :)

Am very much looking forward to reading more of these.

You can check it out here:
Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Under Darker Suns: Star Light eBook: Martin M. Clark: Kindle Store
Amazon UK: Under Darker Suns: Star Light eBook: Martin M. Clark: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

I'm afraid that having looked at the first pages on Amazon it's in need of an editor. Sometimes it's Sergeant Lovell (right) sometimes Sargent Lovell (wrong) and ranks have been capitalised when not used as honorifics; also wrong. There are a number of other trivial typos. This would sadly drive me nuts if I was reading. When self-publishing (or traditional publishing for that matter) it is essential to get these things right. With self-published I always take a look inside and if I find these sort of errors I simply do not buy. Sorry.

Corrections and whatnot are ‘pending’, and my thanks for the unpaid editing!