'New' Heinlein book...

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
I seemed to have missed this...

Apparently RAH left notes and an outline for a heavily revised version of The Number of the Beast. The first third was to be the same, but then it veers away, staying with the struggle against the Black Hats encountered on Earth, which seemed to fade away in the original. I suspect that this was to do with RAH trying to squeeze in Lazarus Long and all his extended baggage and the concept of World-as-Myth...

Anyway, this new version would seem much more 'classic' Heinlein. Barsoom (the Edgar Rice Burroughs version) would seem to be featured, as is the EE 'Doc' Smith's universe of the Lensmen. Should be published mid-November, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Details:

The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel about Parallel Universes,

dannymcg

I was waffling on about it earlier this year

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
Apologies, you were. My memory ain't what it was - I filled in a form the other day and started the year '19...' :confused:

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I didn't read this Heinlein book because I heard way to many negatives. But his new version, I might give it chance.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
I read Number of the Beast once and I don't think I could manage a second time regardless of how it's changed.

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
Not on Kindle yet. Actually, apparently, not available directly from Amazon in any format - the only copy they're listing so far is a 2nd-hand one from an external supplier.

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
...but now showing as "Unavailable". :(

tinkerdan

∞<Q-Satis
Just ordered the hard cover--available in the US at amazon.
Also ordered the original number of the beast--the pair will be something to pass on to other generations if we all survive the virus.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Just ordered the hard cover--available in the US at amazon.
Also ordered the original number of the beast--the pair will be something to pass on to other generations if we all survive the virus.
No worries tinkerdan , we will survive . :)

Ursus

Not on Kindle yet. Actually, apparently, not available directly from Amazon in any format - the only copy they're listing so far is a 2nd-hand one from an external supplier.
Uh... I've got it spooled up on my paperwhite, right now (USA). I've only read the preface at this point, but I ordered it March 18. Am I missing something? Shoot, I was only supposed to be lurking right now, since I just joined sffchronicles.

Oh, yeah... regional licensing. Apparently the middle of your street isn't in the U.S.

Gonna try an' slip back into the shadows, now.