50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. What Are Your Favourite Stories About the Moon?

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
Today is 20 July 2019. Fifty years ago today mankind first set foot on the moon. With that in mind what are your favourite stories, science fiction or otherwise, that involve the moon.

For me I would say:
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
Moonrise/Moonwar by Ben Bova
and
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan

The Trouble with Tycho by Clifford D. Simak

My favourites are Moonrise and Moonwar by Ben Bova.

I haven't really read too many books that are based on the moon.

Today is 20 July 2019. Fifty years ago today mankind first set foot on the moon. With that in mind what are your favourite stories, science fiction or otherwise, that involve the moon.

For me I would say:
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
Moonrise/Moonwar by Ben Bova
and
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan

Actually it is tomorrow. I watched it as a nine year old. And now it's history. I have always had a fascination with the moon. Although no stories as yet have caught my imagination, however Artemis, by Andy Weir, could change that hopefully.

Ian Sales' Adrift on the Sea of Rains for sure.

Destination Moon by Robert A. Heinlein, and any adventure with Captain Future who had his secret base on the Moon.

Last edited:
A Fall of Moondust, and The Sentinel, both by Arthur C Clarke.
The Lotus Caves by John Christopher, which was coincidentally metioned on Book Seach last week.

I watched the original landing live on TV!
All on the BBC complete with good old Patrick Moore R.I.P. and maybe James Burke!
All in black and white 400 hundred plus lines, it would be years before we got a set that could pick up BBC2, 625 lines, and decades before we got colour, I've only just got HD, I picked this model as it was the only one to have a scart connector for my DVD player, no 4k smart set yet.
I stayed up all night until about Six o'clock Monday morning, the program started sometime Sunday evening.
I was on holiday from school so no worries, my dad stayed up with me until about One.
Before I staggered up to bed I looked at the Moon through the kitchen window and tried to imagine men up there, this was a few years after I read "A Fall Of Moondust" by Arthur C. Clarke, I was so pleased his Lunar model was wrong!
Then when I got up at midday I remember my mum saying there were men hopping about on the Moon like kangaroos!!!

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned "Moon," the Duncan Jones film? I also wanted to say I absolutely loved Weir's "Artemis."

The Heinlein novel "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" is fairly good, been a while since I read it.
The short story "I Made You" by Walter M. Miller Jr is very good, as is "Moon Six" by Stephen Baxter.
And if course there is the old out of date classic "A Fall Of Moondust" by Arthur C. Clarke.