(Found) Science fiction/horror novel - can’t find it

Davidowens767

I read this book when I was a kid, probably in the 90s.I can’t remember the title or the author.
Internet searches have been fruitless.
From what I recall, it said in the south west possibly Mexico. The time period is also modern as I recall vehicles in the story. The story is about a monkey like creature that attaches to your back and basically controls you. This creature jumps on one of our main characters and seems to reach its fingers into the skin through the back but they Never get in to have the creature controls you. I do know that the creature sleeps and went It sleeps the person can speak with his own mind , but usually only ends up whispering briefly before it wakes up again. The main character with the creature on his back ends up jumping off of a cliff as he’s dozing in a vehicle on the road; Sacrificing his life to be rid of the creature. The creature rushes up the slope and jumps onto another person and the story ends.

I read this book when I was a kid, probably in the 90s.I can’t remember the title or the author.
Internet searches have been fruitless.
From what I recall, it said in the south west possibly Mexico. The time period is also modern as I recall vehicles in the story. The story is about a monkey like creature that attaches to your back and basically controls you. This creature jumps on one of our main characters and seems to reach its fingers into the skin through the back but they Never get in to have the creature controls you. I do know that the creature sleeps and went It sleeps the person can speak with his own mind , but usually only ends up whispering briefly before it wakes up again. The main character with the creature on his back ends up jumping off of a cliff as he’s dozing in a vehicle on the road; Sacrificing his life to be rid of the creature. The creature rushes up the slope and jumps onto another person and the story ends.

Could it be a Dean Koontz novel ? :unsure:

Thanks everyone! I apologize for my sloppy post. I entered it via my iPhone and am seeing the replies on my laptop.

It is The Burr Woman! I recognize the cover of the book "Monsters you never heard of" by Raymond Van Over. Thanks to all who replied!!! dannymcg even gave me a laugh with his comment.

The vehicles I imagined must have been buggies/horse-drawn carriages. I was born in '84 and must have read it in the early 90s and was a young kid. I checked the local library and they don't have it so I'll have to buy online, but I can share it with my 7 year old now!

Thanks again!

The 'monkey on your back' concept has been used before--
Robert A Heinlein - The Puppet Masters
Star Trek (TOS) - Operation: Annihilate!

Back