Dream Writing Project

Aside from the projects you're currently engaged in, what is your dream writing project?

Basically, I'd like to know that, if you were offered a writing gig for the hundreds of games, comics and graphic novels, cartoons, and TV shows out there, which of these would be your dream writing job?

For me, I'd love to work with Square Enix on revamping a few of the Star Ocean games as well as novelizing them and several of the Dragon Quest games. After that, I'd love to write some Alien stuff.

To be honest, it's to write what I'm currently writing and be paid a lot of money for it. I'd like to see my fantasy epic (as yet unpublished) really succeed, as I've put a lot of effort into it and it's quite a personal project. But to see any of my other writing succeed in print and/or be adapted would be great.

I wouldn't mind if DC wanted me to write a an arc in the Batman comics. I already have ideas. Or better yet, get together with an artist and make my own comic. I already have ideas for this as well. :D

I have been working on a Vatican-based thriller (in my head) for 20 years, which requires living in Rome for a couple of months to do the research. It's not likely to happen before I retire from my 'real' job, but it's not too far away...

I have been working on a Vatican-based thriller (in my head) for 20 years, which requires living in Rome for a couple of months to do the research. It's not likely to happen before I retire from my 'real' job, but it's not too far away...

I would honestly find out how much it would cost to live in Rome versus taking a month vacation there. You might be surprised! (I only say this because it's a dream of mine to take at least a six-week backpacking trip across Europe, and there are ways to do things on the cheap.)
I wouldn't take a writing project. Deadlines. Requirements. Expectations. I'd rather write my own stuff.
Doesn't writing your own stuff come with deadlines, requirements, and expectations? ;) I know my own projects do!

I, too, prefer to work on my own projects. There are a few in outline or at the back of my brain that I can only hope to be around long enough and in sufficiently good health to write.

While I can understand the appeal of being part of something bigger than the work of just one writer, something involving existing worlds and characters that have given me much pleasure and delight, I've heard enough about these work-for-hire agreements that come with working on novelizations for a TV, game, movie, or other such franchise that I know (even though many writers are happy enough to get the work, and if the conditions suit them, why not?) they'd be not a dream but a nightmare for me personally. The deadlines are very tight (sometimes weeks not months) and you absolutely have to meet them, there is only so much you can do with the world and characters (because if you stray from their "bible" your story will interfere with their plans for future books), the money is usually not good (flat fee, no royalties), and you have no control over the long-term future of your book if they decide to stop publishing it (no reversion clauses). So while, yes, there are deadlines and expectations if you are writing a series of your own, whether self-publishing or having signed a multi-book contract with a publisher, they are nothing like as restrictive as when writing for a franchise.

I'd absolutely love to write in the Alien universe and bring my own stories to it.

Other dream gigs would be writing some original Superman stuff for DC and writing in the True Detective universe for HBO.

I'd also like to write in the Uncharted series for Sony

I would honestly find out how much it would cost to live in Rome versus taking a month vacation there. You might be surprised! (I only say this because it's a dream of mine to take at least a six-week backpacking trip across Europe, and there are ways to do things on the cheap.)

I am at an age where I only want luxury, so I'll wait :)

I have travelled a lot in Europe and elsewhere, and the current idea is maybe a six month trip (to Italy, France & possibly Eastern Europe) with a long stay in Rome in the middle. Mind you, the plan changes on a regular basis.

>Doesn't writing your own stuff come with deadlines, requirements, and expectations?

Nope.

Actually, this last one did have deadlines--I had to get it finished to get it to my editor, to whom I paid actual cash money. And I hated having to do so. My next one I'm going to have completely finished before I even book an editor.

As for requirements, definitely not. Often when writing for someone else there's a requirement regarding length or tone or subject matter or whatever. As a retired professor I'm an advocate of writing to a length as a way to learn the discipline of writing, but I've done that. Lesson learned; further instruction on the point is not needed. That said, I'm happy to subject myself to length limits if I want to publish a short story. Different animal.

By expectations I mean that the audience brings expectations to stories and worlds that are already known. There again I can see some benefits of forcing oneself to write to that, but I simply have too many stories lined up pounding on the doors. Too many stories, and too little time in which to get them all written.

None of the above casts the least aspersion on folks who do want to write in some other existing story world. More power to 'em!

I already sent it to Penthouse Letters in '88... Fortunately, the restraining order that was delivered with the rejection notice is due to lapse in 2023.
So, all that time I've been polishing my 1k-word story preparing for a resubmission. Keep your fingers crossed! ;)

K2
Okay, that's a lie... I was too chicken to send it the first time. Next year, maybe...

I'd love to write in the Elder Scrolls universe - spin-off novels or for the game itself, either would be great.

Honestly, there's a bunch of worlds I'd like to write in, but that's the one that always jumps to mind first.

My story in Soot and Steel is not in another's universe. The anthology's theme has thrown up a wide range of stories. Though all had to be based in London. Mine is set 29th -30th December 1940 in and around St Paul's Cathedral.