Dream Writing Project

Aside from my own projects taking off and becoming books, movies, TV shows, video games, etc.

I'd like to write a Star wars movie set in the old republic. Something that explores the Sith. Or I've always liked the idea of a grey Jedi. Not in the sense that they practice neutrality but just a dude who left the Jedi order to pursue his own desires and make money using the force.

I have to say that for me, TE summed it up perfectly. I'm not a man for strict deadlines and restrictions; but if you were to ask what my own dream story would be, well...

I'm not really sure. I suppose just something to finally bind everything I have together into one true magnum opus. But, that would be on me to do, nobody else, and nobody else would be the one to put me up to it. Write not for others, but for yourself, for if you don't enjoy what you're putting down, and if you don't enjoy the work, then there is no point, because writing is an extension of oneself, and carelessness and frustration will show through as clearly as a reflection in a new mirror.

What the OP describes above sounds or looks or feels like glorified(paid) fan fiction.
So, no: not for me.

Fanfiction isn't for everyone, but it is also how a lot of writers get started. I know I did, and it does aid in the writing process.

Aside from my own projects taking off and becoming books, movies, TV shows, video games, etc.

I'd like to write a Star wars movie set in the old republic. Something that explores the Sith. Or I've always liked the idea of a grey Jedi. Not in the sense that they practice neutrality but just a dude who left the Jedi order to pursue his own desires and make money using the force.

Nice!!

I'd love to be a baseball beat writer for ESPN or Sports Illustrated. Preferably for the Dodgers.

Sweet!!

I have to say that for me, TE summed it up perfectly. I'm not a man for strict deadlines and restrictions; but if you were to ask what my own dream story would be, well...

I'm not really sure. I suppose just something to finally bind everything I have together into one true magnum opus. But, that would be on me to do, nobody else, and nobody else would be the one to put me up to it. Write not for others, but for yourself, for if you don't enjoy what you're putting down, and if you don't enjoy the work, then there is no point, because writing is an extension of oneself, and carelessness and frustration will show through as clearly as a reflection in a new mirror.

Ah but there is something to be learned when playing in someone else's sandbox. I know there are a lot of people who frown on fanfiction, but it's a great way to learn how to develop a character, the limitations of characters, and so on. I have personally found that, when I ask why one of my favorite characters has behaved in a certain way and delve into that character's head, I learn how to develop that while staying true to the character's personality.

I don't think I know enough about any particular universe (besides my own work) to feel confident writing in them. Though I do like the idea of shared universe projects like Wild Cards, where there's more freedom as long as you're in that world.

And as for dream stuff like writing the screen play of your novel, I'd rather someone else handle it... From a big studio, preferably. :LOL:

But I wouldn't mind being paid to blog. That would be nice, though doesn't really fit in with the original question. Can I just get paid loads to write my own stuff? ;)

Fulltime writing for 2000AD. I really need to give their submissions a go :LOL: