Just discovered Joe Dever, Lone Wolf author, passed away

thaddeus6th

Supporter
It was a few years ago, actually, but still sad to learn.

The Lone Wolf gamebooks were one of the staples of my early teens, and yesterday I finished replaying the first, Flight from the Dark (unusually, I actually did it first time).

Alongside Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (and some others), Lone Wolf was what I read the most in my first few years at secondary school. They're a cool halfway house between an ordinary book and a videogame/tabletop RPG. I've got most of the books (probably 20 odd), and might end up replaying them.

Some years ago, Dever gave his blessing to Project Aon, which I think I've mentioned here before, a website that enables people to play his various gamebooks for free, which was a really nice gesture.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else was into Lone Wolf, or if anyone wanted to give it a look.

RIP Joe Dever.

I
It was a few years ago, actually, but still sad to learn.

The Lone Wolf gamebooks were one of the staples of my early teens, and yesterday I finished replaying the first, Flight from the Dark (unusually, I actually did it first time).

Alongside Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series (and some others), Lone Wolf was what I read the most in my first few years at secondary school. They're a cool halfway house between an ordinary book and a videogame/tabletop RPG. I've got most of the books (probably 20 odd), and might end up replaying them.

Some years ago, Dever gave his blessing to Project Aon, which I think I've mentioned here before, a website that enables people to play his various gamebooks for free, which was a really nice gesture.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else was into Lone Wolf, or if anyone wanted to give it a look.

RIP Joe Dever.
I remember these books! For a kid that didn't know anyone willing to play D&D they were the next best thing. Saw one at the used book shop not long ago and it was pretty pricey. I think I used to have a full set, shame I let them go. And my Hardy Boys collection.

RIP Joe.

There were some recentish (a decade or so, I think) swanky versions done, hardbacks with nice covers. I've got about 90% of the original set, but I might fill in the blanks with Project Aon.

To be honest, I was pretty unaware of tabletop RPGs until a year or two ago, but the gamebooks were a great solo experience. I found them through the school library at first, then got my dad to get me them one at a time from a bookshop that was on his way to work.

I loved Lone Wolf as a kid in the 90’s. I had never heard of D&D (don’t think many brits from working class family’s are aware of it) but Warhammer was big, and both Lone Wolf and Fighting Fantasy books could be found in my school library, so me and a friend read a bunch of them. Hardly ever completed them though, they were solid!

I do have fond memories from my very introverted childhood courtesy of Joe Dever, so it’s sad to hear he passed away, but his work was much appreciated, I’m sure, by many other geeks deprived of the wider geek society due to background or other circumstances.

RIP Joe Dever.