DISCUSSION -- JULY 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#34)

There's plenty of time for a story to emerge -- you've got until the end of the month. (Which is when my muse will finally get her act together. If I'm lucky...)

Meanwhile, it's Wednesday, it's the 10th and it's ... Crackerjack! Well no, but this quarter's 300 Word Challenge is now open for stories!

I didn't mean to be first again, I swear. With the 300 worder, my story calls to my mind, wanting me to look at it constantly, and to just change one word here, or a piece of punctuation there. When I can post it and shut off that calling, I'm always happier. I can now forget the thing until voting next month.

Hope everyone's doing well with their writing. Looking forward to reading the stories, CC

...my story calls to my mind, wanting me to look at it constantly, and to just change one word here, or a piece of punctuation there.

Which is a phenomenally useful thing. Always work with it, because it'll fade if stifled.

Thought I didn't have a story, then I did, then it pulled my favourite happening and went somewhere I didn't expect.

Believe it or not, I haven't even started mine. I came up with an idea this morning, but I'm undecided on it - I think it just rehashes other things I've written for the challenges.

Let me go have a word with that lazy muse...

I waited all day for you to post, Cathbad, so I wouldn't be first. ;)

Hope your muse responds soon, CC

Cat's Cradle: The searing emotion of this dark family drama reaches deep into the reader's heart and opens locked doors leading into rooms long hidden from the light. By compelling us to examine the potential for violence that lurks within all of us, the story allows us to acknowledge these feelings and overcome them.

Rafellin: The seductive power of this subtle and evocative fantasy draws the reader into its half-seen world with the compelling force of a quiet melody. By presenting its imagined realm only in sidelong glances, the story fires the imagination and transforms us into the author's collaborators.

Got one written

Way too wordy (482) plus it's way way over the top and chock full of exclamation marks.

I plan on leaving it until next week and then edit, giving it time to grow on me because right now I don't particularly like it.

Cathbad: This high fantasy adventure also serves as an allegory for the changes wrought by technology. By disguising our ambivalent feelings about the devices we create in the form of magical creatures, the author allows us to take a step back and consider what they really mean to us.

Luiglin: This tongue-in-cheek sequel to familiar figures from popular culture makes the reader ponder how we accept the characters from entertainment at face value. By adding a touch of macabre humor, the story also reminds us that we never really know what others are really like.

nixie: The great tragedies of the recent past haunt this quietly moving portrait of one who can never hope to escape an overwhelming sense of guilt. The author shows remarkable courage in daring to deal with such an enormous theme, and by portraying a character many would depict in simplistic terms as a complex, flawed but sympathetic personality.

J.C. Scoberg: The dreary fate which faces those who, from economic necessity, perform the most dangerous work is powerfully conveyed in this moving tale. By adding a touch of fantasy, the author strengthens the story's theme through an apt metaphor.