The downside of space exploration...

I know strong sunshine can reactivate the cold sore virus so, perhaps, it’s exposure to excessive radiation?

I think the most likely cause would be a weakened immune system, something that can also easily happen on Earth with a known explanation. Could be anything from the radiation to food to exercise or any combination. Still it could be a step in the wrong direction, if one got healthier that would be a big improvement. I can find all kinds of articles about the risks of space radiation but not one that shows any benefits. Everyone agrees the more shielding there is the better off the astronauts are.

space is scary but crazy i never knew they could get things like herpes in space. :S

Imagine you can use this in your texts. I've already made a mental note.
Such a cool 'Deus ex machina'.

space is scary but crazy i never knew they could get things like herpes in space. :S
Once you’ve caught the herpes virus you’ve got it for good. It’s usually caught in childhood by being kissed by an infected adult. It’s very contagious.

It lays dormant until triggered by some event and that causes a cold sore outbreak. So it isn’t so much that you can ‘get herpes in space’ but rather some element of space travel triggers an outbreak.

Once you’ve caught the herpes virus you’ve got it for good. It’s usually caught in childhood by being kissed by an infected adult. It’s very contagious.

It lays dormant until triggered by some event and that causes a cold sore outbreak. So it isn’t so much that you can ‘get herpes in space’ but rather some element of space travel triggers an outbreak.

Ah, I see. space herpes sounded cooler tho.