Introductions in SciFi Novels

IntoTheBlack

Supporter
Hello everyone,

The book I am writing for me is like a film in my head. I want desperately to have and introduction. With my book I have the intention (foolhardy perhaps?) of trying traditional publishing.

Should I have a introduction? or will publishers be instantly switched off by such things? I have read many conflicting posts.

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

Andy

Do you mean a prologue?

If that is what you mean, then the answer is going to be very unhelpful: depends. Every book is different, and while a prologue might be fine for one book, it won't be for another.

That is something the beta readers will have to answer when you get to the point that you let other people read your work.

If you mean an introduction as in a preface, then the answer is no. 99% of people would skip it, guaranteed.

I'm not sure an introduction would be appropriate to a fiction novel unless your novel was dealing with absurdity of which the introduction would be just another part.

What you do need for an agent is a synopsis--however that would not want to be sent out with the novel since it contains the whole story including how it ends.

The odd thing here is that your first chapter and first paragraphs are the introduction--of the character, the conflict , perhaps some of the strengths and weaknesses of the character. That can be chapter one or even a Prologue.

@L.L.Lotte - yes a prologue is exactly what I mean :)

@tinkerdan Thank you for the reply, interesting link will dig in more. I think prologue is what I am after. I have always been told that books that require prologues tend not to get representation or publishing. Does naming it chapter 1 or chapter zero help? Either way will read through the link :)

Thank you all,

Andy

I think the issue with prologues is that they can be boring and irrelevant. This is because they are typically not from the PoV of the protagonist so feel like some waste of time throwaway chapter.

If your "prologue" starts with the main character doing something, then it isn't a prologue. It's your chapter one and should just be labelled as such. The only exception would be if there is a big time jump, at which point I'd see the benefit of calling it a prologue instead. Like if the protagonist is a child in the prologue, then a grown adult in chapter one, it would make sense to call it a prologue.

But really, the label of the chapter, whether it be prologue or chapter one is not the issue, it's the content of the chapter that matters. It is possible to make an interesting/exciting prologue. Many consider the prologue of Game of Thrones to be such.

Last edited:
Hello,

Agreed, the start of the prologue is about fifteen hundred words of calm, slowly building...then total horror leaving a lot of questions. Its the event that starts other events, a catalyst if you will. What its not doing is setting the scene for the main character but providing a context for the reader a to why the main character and crew decide to go down the road they do. I never disliked introduction or prologues as my imagination can run anywhere, I like it when the author sets up the scene. Though I realise this is personal and has its place but its not that interesting to all.

Thanks for the GOT pointer, I always loved the introduction to the movie - Dune. Some of Ian M Bank's books have introductions. So I know it can be done, but should I and the answer is...depends ;)

I am comming accross this a lot lately, its amlost like writing is a creative process that can go in any direction.

Andy

Hello everyone,

The book I am writing for me is like a film in my head. I want desperately to have and introduction. With my book I have the intention (foolhardy perhaps?) of trying traditional publishing.

Should I have a introduction? or will publishers be instantly switched off by such things? I have read many conflicting posts.

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

Andy

A couple of things stand out for me here if you want to get into traditional publishing:

- Try not to think of your story as a film as much as words on a page. I know that can be hard, especially if you have wonderfully visual scenes in your head, but thinking in film terms can become a problem because film and novels are completely different media that work in very different ways. I'd strongly recommend reading Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer and/or watch Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures on YouTube to get a better idea of the technicalities involved in how to make writing stronger. Also, make sure that you read a lot - specifically more recently released novels rather than decades-old classics. Read the bestsellers in your genre, and also read bestsellers across other genres.

- It's easy to think that the reader could do with some form of explanation at the start of the story. However, humans are problem-solving creatures and a big trick to writing is to raise questions at the start without answering them, because that helps push the reader on in order to answer them. Explanations too kill that advantage. It's therefore much better just to start with a sense of something happenings - ie, events moving forward - and drip in any information you think is needed throughout the story.

2c. :).

What stage are you are?

Are you still to finish the rest of the novel? If so, then what are you worried about? Get on with writing the rest. I think it's a bit pointless worry about it if you haven't got the full product. Some prologues work, others don't.

When you finish it the most important thing (IMO) will be to get, at the very least, a beta reader (or, really, a few) that know the genre well, to read it all. They may tell you that they find this prologue irrelevant and a bad start. Which again is fine - it'll be really easy to lop off from the rest.

Or they may like it. So that'll be fine.

Something in my head tells me that in the 1980s it seemed that every SF/Fantasy novel had to have a prologue. Because, it was SF/Fantasy. I may, however be mis-remembering. Anyway, the lesson I took from that, is that you shouldn't have a prologue, just for the sake of having one.

However, the problem I think for submitting to traditional publishing with a prologue, and you are yet to be published, is that you've got to get their attention from your first page. And if that first page and chapter is at odds with your blurb or any other expectations you can flash to them in the (probably extremely) brief moment they take to appraise it, then I feel you are likely increasing the odds of them rejecting it quickly. (Of course sometimes they just ask for sample chapters, so you could just send chapter 1 to wherever....but if you are comfortable doing that, then that's probably telling you that the prologue is unnecessary.)

Thanks for the GOT pointer, I always loved the introduction to the movie - Dune.

Just in case you misunderstood me... I was actually talking about the book, not the TV show Game of Thrones.

The first book is where the show got its name. And I was specifically talking about the prologue for the first book. Some of the later prologues can be a bit questionable.

Granted, what happens in the first part of the show is the prologue of the book so either way...

I'm wary of prologues, as they tend to suggest that the start of the book isn't interesting enough without them. In particular, I think that the sort of epic background text of Star Wars or Dune ("It is the far future, and...") don't work in books, because they're so vague. To my mind, while a lot of things can succeed, the safest bet is to start the story when some interesting event breaks the usual flow of things, and to zoom in on one or a small group of characters as soon as possible, preferably doing something engrossing and active.

Like anything else in writing, prologues are fine as long as they work.

I don't believe readers see prologues as separate entities - unlike many writers - and instead consider them part of a book, which suits me as both of my published novels have them!

When we say this:
Yes I did say we. I often cringe if I don't add a few qualifiers and explanations and further advice to go with it.
To my mind, while a lot of things can succeed, the safest bet is to start the story when some interesting event breaks the usual flow of things, and to zoom in on one or a small group of characters as soon as possible, preferably doing something engrossing and active.
The trouble is if left as just that simple statement it seems to engender a knee jerk response that we need to have an action packed thriller scene to open the story and breezes by the most important element which is that you need to write well. And yes maybe somewhere and soon perhaps that inciting incident that drives the entire story should show up.

Then we(meaning me)add to the confusion the usual advice that movies and novels are different media and don't mix well.
[I have to qualify that we is me; because I've often ended up with people ignoring the issue and innocently attacking my statement by questioning who we is because we(everyone else)never give bad advice like this.]

I personally have to stop a moment if I start to make that statement because I recall.
In 1981- April I picked up a book by Campbell Black entitled Raiders of the Lost Arc. The book starts as if someone gave him that advice that things have to be happening at the beginning; however in this case this is almost a direct adaption from the screenplay and this is how the movie starts. And: guess what? This worked for me; not only did I enjoy the novel I also suggested to friends and family that this was going to be a great movie. And in June of the same year I found myself waiting in a long line to get in to watch.

But lets get back to great beginnings. Looking at something I recently read by one of our own authors here who now has three books from a series. I'm not sure that his books start the way we advise; however they work for me and quite well. Anyone interested in checking this can search for books by Mark Huntley-James- the Demon Trader series. What works for me is his narrative style is done well and has at least this reader hitting the ground running through the novel at a fair pace. Even through some of the most absurd moments the pace and writing keep me going. There is mature content so if you do look--keep that in mind.

What's really interesting about the three novels is that they all start with the same four words, 'Everyone has their demons,' perhaps this could be considered an introduction; however whatever it is it still works no matter how redundant it might appear.

But let's hit something more well known.

Douglas Adams, who also writes of the absurd, begins his novel with something before chapter 1 that might be an introduction that is quite successful in setting the mood and introducing the narrative style, setting the reader up for the many interesting segues that happen throughout.
It's written well with an interesting if somewhat absurd inciting incident.

The point is; no matter what you do, if it is written well, it will be read and appreciated.

If you boggle it up(usually by following too much well intended advice)that's another matter entirely.

Hello everyone,

@Culhwch Thank you - will take a look - I did not think to search :whistle:

@Brian G Turner - Solid advice, I have to write this book as its stuck in my head. However I realise the chance of publication particularly from a first time novelist is unlikely so I am not taking things too seriously ;) this said, not afraid the throw my hat into the ring. I did buy The WonderBook, I found another thread on this site all about it. I was not disappointed. Will check out the lectures as that's not something I have come across yet. You are right, people make some of the best leaps of faith from the least amount of information, perhaps I don't need a prologue. We will see by the time I have finished the book :)

@Venusian Broon - Thank you - no its not finished...I am just suffering from my first bout of writers block (perhaps laziness in my case), I have endless questions, this forum seems all too good at answering them. I also have endless editing to do, even the dishes look good. :p
I have read submission rules from various agents and publishers and they all do seem to want chapters. Food for thought.

Just in case you misunderstood me... I was actually talking about the book, not the TV show Game of Thrones.

Yes I understood :) thank you for the clarification. I have the book, read it years ago...I will have another look.

@Toby Frost - Yes, you are not alone - I have close family and friends reading chapters telling me what works and what does not - sadly they are not in the business so its opinion - although some of them have spent decades writing documentation. In short some like the prologue other dislike it as it they felt it disjointed or disconnected.

@Steve Harrison - Agreed, I think @Venusian Broon hit the nail on the head. I should finish writing it first, then worry over cohesion of the layout later. Well done on getting published (y)

@tinkerdan - Excellent reply, thank you for taking the time made me laugh. I imagine all of it as a film, sadly i cant change that. I think you and @Brian G Turner are right. Books and movies are different beasts - lets hope I don't boggle it up ;)

I have much to think about, and more books to read :)

Andy

The trouble is if left as just that simple statement it seems to engender a knee jerk response that we need to have an action packed thriller scene to open the story and breezes by the most important element which is that you need to write well.
I'm wary of telling people that all books should start alike. However, a scene in which a lead character experiences a break from the norm seems to me to be the most likely way of getting the reader's attention. I don't mean that every book needs to start with a huge explosion: obviously that would be crazy in most romances, say. But the logical starting point, it seems to me, is the point at which the narrative breaks from the norm, the inciting incident. As you say: "Hit the ground running".

To be clearer about this, there's nothing wrong with several pages of prose poetry, a prologue involving characters who are never seen again, and so on. There are a lot of ways to do it. But what I'm talking about - starting with a "break from the norm" rather than some very drastic event like an explosion - seems to me to be the most likely one to succeed.

Last edited:
I can agree with this.
But what I'm talking about - starting with a "break from the norm" rather than some very drastic event like an explosion - seems to me to be the most likely one to succeed.
However the funny thing is that it is something that goes without saying.
And what does he mean by that?
Well, in all the popular fiction today, that I pick up, the characters don't lead normal lives and I'm not sure they would recognize normal if it smacked them in the face. Their story wouldn't be worth telling at normal nor in some cases would it be possible, so yes, the story will likely start with something out of the normal for us normal people.