Scale model of the solar system

There are a few scale models scattered around the world; the largest one I know of is in Sweden and it spans the entire country. Lucky for me there is (a smaller) one nearby where I live called the Somerset Space Walk. With a bit of maths knowledge you can work out the speed of light and see if you can match it... no speeding allowed! Great fun for kids of all ages.

There is one in Otford, Kent here: Otford Solar System

You could easily walk from the railway station or there is car parking in the village.

Most planets are within a playing field behind the village hall but the outer planets require a walk along the river Darenth with Pluto being about a kilometre away hidden amongst some undergrowth.

I'm actually not so sure about all that "nothing" we're in, but this was a very nice film.

I wish something could've been said about the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud -- parts of our solar system by some definition.

I'm actually not so sure about all that "nothing" we're in, but this was a very nice film.

I wish something could've been said about the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud -- parts of our solar system by some definition.
:)

From wikipedia the Oort cloud lies at ~5,000-100,000 AU.

So...from memory they made the diameter of Neptune (30AU) at abou 5.6km...so they would need to drive their car at in a circle of diameter between 930-18,600 km.

Possible if their car had amphibious capabilities perhaps :).

Space is big.

In the Otford model I calculate those same circles would be 161km to 3220km - which is like Stratford on Avon for the smaller, but to Cyprus for the larger. The Oort cloud is really big.

:)

From wikipedia the Oort cloud lies at ~5,000-100,000 AU.

So...from memory they made the diameter of Neptune (30AU) at abou 5.6km...so they would need to drive their car at in a circle of diameter between 930-18,600 km.

Possible if their car had amphibious capabilities perhaps :).

Space is big.

It would've been cool if they could have said something like that.

there is a video that deals with the scale of it really. If the earth was a tennis ball then it shows everything in comparison to it.

Human beings are the highest intelligence in the universe and our consciousness is purely the product of our brain chemistry

Back