So I got rejected but I'm happy!

So I've been working on this story since I was a teen and it has went through so many rewrites. I even ended up losing it and had to start over.
Fast forward ten years and I'm ready to submit a bit of it (or at least I think I am) and then

BAM!!

She declined my work.

BUT not because of how boring the story was but because my grammar editing skills sucked! She gave me pointers on what to do but loved the overall idea and main character .

So my question is...how do I exactly get "better" at editing grammar ? Editors are expensive right ? I mean I know English but I'm no English teacher. Even though I felt like I lost war I did win the battle. So keep going! I know i will! Remember . Rejection isn't personal. It's to help you grow and I hope you all will help me grow through constructive criticism!

It's nice to meet you all!

When you get thirty (counted) posts (which might not be long at your present rate of progress) you'll be eligible for critiques. In the meantime, if there are any specific segments you would like analysed for grammar and punctuation (or scientific verisimilitude) I'm the pedant. But I also believe anyone seeking the label 'writer' should learn to recognise their own errors. Publishers aren't going to do it until you don't need it any more.

And as my Kindle just died on me, and I'm useless for pacing or tension, you could PM (hmm, conversion nowadays?) them to me, and I'll butcher them and serve up the quivering remains privately. I'm slow so no hunks too long.

Now, something that might seem a trifle strange - read up a bit of critiques, and prepare your own list of things that could be improved. Even, if you're relatively confident, type out a critique of your own. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to see your errors in somebody else's work. :)

When you get thirty (counted) posts (which might not be long at your present rate of progress) you'll be eligible for critiques. In the meantime, if there are any specific segments you would like analysed for grammar and punctuation (or scientific verisimilitude) I'm the pedant. But I also believe anyone seeking the label 'writer' should learn to recognise their own errors. Publishers aren't going to do it until you don't need it any more.

And as my Kindle just died on me, and I'm useless for pacing or tension, you could PM (hmm, conversion nowadays?) them to me, and I'll butcher them and serve up the quivering remains privately. I'm slow so no hunks too long.

Now, something that might seem a trifle strange - read up a bit of critiques, and prepare your own list of things that could be improved. Even, if you're relatively confident, type out a critique of your own. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to see your errors in somebody else's work. :)

I actually don't have any little projects of work myself. I have been giving all of my attention to my main story and I've come here to enter contest, write short stories , and to chat it up. So in the mean time what can I do for now? I entered into the 75 word competition and man that was tough

Good to see you taking things positively @Elanvitalseries .

As for grammar - I believe we have some tools in the Writing Discussion section - possibly something in there that might help: Writing Discussion

We also have a dedicated board for grammar and spelling questions: Grammar & Spelling

As for how to improve grammar - 4 possible suggestions:

- reading a lot and taking a note of how different writers apply the rules
- read books on grammar - The Elements of Style by Strunk and White is the most famous one
- getting feedback on work to show your errors, so you know not to repeat them

The fourth is a little unorthodox - start to learn another language. I say that because you're forced to better understand the technicalities of grammar, and apply them, and it's a less dry way of learning simply than reading books on English grammar. :)

Don't take this wrong, I don't want to be picky, but I'd suggest you do. Everything you write you should consider to be writing practice and as such it should be as well written as possible. So if you take a look at your two posts above, they both contain grammar mistakes ("it has went through so many rewrites", "I felt like I lost war I did win the battle", "I've come here to enter contest"). I know it's 'just' a forum post but if you get in the habit of always re-reading and correcting even small posts it will all be good practice for the future.

Also one problem with proof reading is, especially if you read fast, you will tend to read what you expect to find or intended to write rather than what is actually there. Proof reading out loud can also help with that.

yea sometimes I don't proof read and I'm more lazy when it comes to forums. I guess there's no reason to trust what I say but I understand your point. I tend to type fast and plus my phone autocorrects A LOT

Last edited:
@Vertigo is spot on. Every time to write, it is practice. I often find myself re-reading my own forum posts and editing them after I've already posted -- much to the horror of those who had already read the post and were in the middle of writing a response. :p

Out of curiosity, is English your first language? That can be a big barrier. If not, I'd recommend finding a patient person to proof read your work. Even if it is your first language, a proof reader is still useful, as you can still miss mistakes in your own writing because your brain plays tricks on you.

@Vertigo is spot on. Every time to write, it is practice. I often find myself re-reading my own forum posts and editing them after I've already posted -- much to the horror of those who had already read the post and were in the middle of writing a response. :p

Out of curiosity, is English your first language? That can be a big barrier. If not, I'd recommend finding a patient person to proof read your work. Even if it is your first language, a proof reader is still useful, as you can still miss mistakes in your own writing because your brain plays tricks on you.

Yes English isn't my first language ! I just slack on forums and stuff like that and type fast without proof reading. It's just a bad social media habit I have to break out of . But I will start proofreading my work to get into the habit of better grammar.

I'm just glad I was rejected because of grammar and not because my story just sucked. I think that would of been worse.

I'm just glad I was rejected because of grammar and not because my story just sucked. I think that would of been worse.

Definitely. Grammar can be fixed, lack of imagination can't.

Lmao. I just noticed my own mistake in my previous post. Too late to fix that one... You're right that it is harder to write correctly on this forum with a phone. ;)