Buttons/Widgets, whatever you call them have ceased working...

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
Beginning sometime during the past few days, I've noticed that the formatting widgets have ceased working when I try and post. The buttons just above which allow you to alter text color, size, bold, underline, etc.. The BB code 'gear' is set to 'on' (tried it both ways), yet still nothing.

Any ideas?

K2

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Earlier this week I upgraded the forums, so there's a possibility your browser has cached some of the older files. Try refreshing the same page a few times, and see if that helps - that should flush your browser cache, and eliminate that possibility.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Hi Brian,

No there seems to be a software problem:

When I am typing and go to, say, italic,
Then hit the button to stop the italic to get back to normal you get a carriage return.

(The above sentence is an example!)

:)

The emotes always get placed right at the end of the text, rather than where the cursor is and then the cursor is reset at the start!!!!

I tried to insert that smiley face between the ! and ) above!

Also I've noticed that when you add italic, you can no longer delete text using the backspace key, say when you highlight a whole section that you want to delete (you can replace it with a space, but that's irritating.)

Also I just noticed right now, that going back and editing by putting in brackets that it again decides to place the brackets at the end of the text cutting out all space and generally screwing up a bit!

This is all from the PC. Italic never seems to have worked for my android smartphone so I never used it when I was on the phone.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
(y)
I've always had trouble changing from bold or italic and back again, and the smileys often appearing where they weren't meant to be, but oddly the problem seemed to have vanished in this last week.

Let's see. Smiley here.

Nope, it took the thumbs up to the beginning, as you can see. :mad:

Try bolding. Bolding now. Unbolding didn't work, but putting italics did. Unbolding and unitalicising did. Try again. Bolding. Unbolding. Seemed to work that time.

:rolleyes:Smiley after this. Nope appeared at the beginning of the sentence.

Try to insert smiley into after "see". And it worked!

I have no idea what is going on!

Venusian Broon

Supporter
:)I'll do the same as you have TJ and let's see what happens....

Let's see. Smiley here.
(y)

Nope, it took the thumbs up to the (end!), as you can see.
:mad: And placed the angry face a line below.

Try bolding. Bolding now.
Unbolding worked, but it placed it on a new line. I haven't tried unbolding and unitalicising. Try again. Bolding (okay, it now automatically switches off bolding after one letter.)

Try again. Bolding. (Nope I can't do your italicising/unitalicising trick.)

Smiley after this. Nope appeared at the BEGINNING OF THE TEXT. (In case you were wondering why I started it the way I did!)

Try to insert smiley into after "see".
:)

Placed it way down on a new line.

I really have no idea what is going on.

Venusian Broon

Supporter
Is it a particular browser problem?

I run Chrons on IE11. M$ probably change it on a monthly basis so maybe there's an issue there.

I'll try it now in Chrome:

Smiley before the world ":mad:this".

Ok, that worked. (Did it, :cautious: let me go back and place a smiley before the "let" of this sentence. Okay that works fine too...)

How about bolding? Yep, that works too.

Right, so it seems that there is an issue with IE11 @Brian G Turner. You're discriminating against IE11 users!!! ;):)

EDIT: Just tried it with my smartphone, which is android and chrome. And now everything seems to be working fine. I think the update must have helped that.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I'm on Firefox. ;)

I'll try bolding again now and unbolded; italics and not italics.

Smiley after this (y) and it worked this time!

Insert smiley after Firefox and that worked, too.

All's well here. For the moment... ;)

tegeus-Cromis

a better poet than swordsman
Regular bold italic bolditalic bolditalicunderlined :mad::confused::cool::unsure::LOL::rolleyes: <-- random smileys went where they were supposed to go.

Font size change

Everything seems fine

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
Earlier this week I upgraded the forums, so there's a possibility your browser has cached some of the older files. Try refreshing the same page a few times, and see if that helps - that should flush your browser cache, and eliminate that possibility.
Newp... cleaned out all of my history and varied caches. Nada, no go. On this PC I'm using Win-7/IE-11/Cable/No-proxy.

As a side note, I visit a few other forums that use xenforo software... No problem those sites, albeit, they are NOT as diligent about updates. So, perhaps it will hit me everywhere eventually.

Thanks for everyone's efforts!

K2

Venusian Broon

Supporter
Newp... cleaned out all of my history and varied caches. Nada, no go. On this PC I'm using Win-7/IE-11/Cable/No-proxy.

As a side note, I visit a few other forums that use xenforo software... No problem those sites, albeit, they are NOT as diligent about updates. So, perhaps it will hit me everywhere eventually.

Thanks for everyone's efforts!

K2
I think the problem is definitely with using IE 11.

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
I think the problem is definitely with using IE 11.
Perhaps... yet I've also heard that since IE came out as everyone pressed to get folks away from MS. I will DEFFINITELY NEVER use Chrome. That's like throwing open the gates and screaming for the barbarians to come in... the corporate/government ones. And tried the others, many now gone.

My guess is, I'm simply seeing the warning signs of another software 'end of life' deal to push you forward... I'll resist until it becomes unbearable, then start again.

Change is for the young ;)

K2

Venusian Broon

Supporter
Perhaps... yet I've also heard that since IE came out as everyone pressed to get folks away from MS. I will DEFFINITELY NEVER use Chrome. That's like throwing open the gates and screaming for the barbarians to come in... the corporate/government ones. And tried the others, many now gone.

My guess is, I'm simply seeing the warning signs of another software 'end of life' deal to push you forward... I'll resist until it becomes unbearable, then start again.

Change is for the young ;)

K2
I use IE 11 as well (or whatever the newest version is). It should not be dying out!

My guess is that the whatever combination of softwares that Chrons is being hosted on, has not been tested by the forum software people.

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
Okay, new issue I just discovered... If I highlight a passage, then press backspace or even delete, nothing happens. I can use backspace or delete, but only if the area is NOT highlighted.

K2

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
Any progress with this, or is it simply how it is now for those who have not updated our software?

K2

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Any progress with this, or is it simply how it is now for those who have not updated our software?
There have been no updates from Xenforo - however, one of the developers did warn that they would not be supporting IE11 for much longer.