Need serious help with this book

Tanksbaby

I remember reading this book when I was younger. It was a hard cover with the words running down the book instead of across. It’s about humanoids or Androids who insert chips into their necks to pick their gender for their next mission. The main character actually becomes a dead man and meets the dead mans lover. It is an adult book and has adult scenes. I believe in the end he chose to become that man permanently to stay with the woman he now cares about. I’ve been looking for this book for years. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, your memory seems a bit sparse on this, we need more info (if possible) to help you identify it. Please have a look through this guide to see if anything else, however minor, comes back to you. Thanks

The chips in the necks sounds quite like Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Characters in that can choose their bodies, so swap gender, and there are missions. It's definitely for an adult audience. I think there might have been a cover like the one you've described, though the ending is (IIRC) quite different to the one you've mentioned.