Update to Supporter Memberships and self-promotion rules

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just to mention that I've made a change to the Supporter Memberships, so that post count requirements no longer apply to them.

This means that someone can join chrons to self-promote, or post a Critique, so long as they have paid to upgrade their membership.

This is for a couple of reasons:

1. There has been some potentially interesting stuff we've had to bin, on the grounds that we really can't apply rules selectively. However, some people just aren't going to hang around for 100 posts in order to link to their book or YouTube video, even though some members might find it genuinely interesting.

2. Some people join and then start posting a ton of useless one-liner posts in order to boost their post count to make them eligible for self-promotion or critiques. This is actually really common, so hopefully we can now provide an outlet to prevent that.

Because of this, you may now see a few unfamiliar names posting in the Press Releases and Critiques boards. However, I'll keep a close eye on quality - there's already a caveat that any links must be SFF-based.

Also, just to underline as well that chrons isn't a profit-making venture, and that income from Supporter Memberships goes to paying hosting fees, which have always been considerable. IMO better if chrons is able to try and support itself precisely to avoid it having to become commercialized.

Any questions or comments, as ever, you're always welcome to ask. :)

Last edited:

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Btw, I notice that the first of the Supporter renewals has come through today - if anyone has any problems with these, please do let me know. I'm always happy to be approached about any questions, queries, or comments about the forums. :)

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Mine went through no problem. I got an email alert about it and it seems if that you're happy to renew, you don't have to do anything. I'm pretty good at doing nothing so it suits me fine:)

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Mine won't have gone through as I don't have a PayPal account or whatever it was. Is there any way I can make another one off payment to you Brian? If nothing else I'm going to another concert at Findhorn on the 19th July and could meet up and give you cash!!! :D

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Everything went fine by me.

Although I was a bit surprised to find that PayPal had organised a direct debit for me. (I thought I had to organise it by hand again.)

Still no complaints. Tis done.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Everything went fine by me.

Although I was a bit surprised to find that PayPal had organised a direct debit for me. (I thought I had to organise it by hand again.)

Still no complaints. Tis done.
Are you sure it's a direct debit or a repeat drawing against your debit card? I think the latter is how PayPal usually work.

Venusian Broon

Supporter
Are you sure it's a direct debit or a repeat drawing against your debit card? I think the latter is how PayPal usually work.
I'm pretty sure it said direct debit, but I can't be sure because I don't have the confirmation email from the company that did it.

Venusian Broon

Supporter
Yeah, it's apparently a direct debit from the company collecting for Paypal. I think because it's a recurring subscription. I'm pretty sure I've used the company before and haven't had any problems with them in the past. So sanguine about it.:)

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
I was taken by surprise on the renewal, and I thought I'd set it up as a one-time thing so that I would have to do it manually and thus know it was going to happen. Is it possible to set that thing so that it warns us when it's coming due, with an email?

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I'm pretty sure it said direct debit, but I can't be sure because I don't have the confirmation email from the company that did it.
Yeah. I think mine said DD too. In fact confirmed. It's even in the email title. Probably worth noting that my preferred payment is by credit card so the DD will be related to that rather than my bank account.