300 Worder Image Poll and Discussion Thread #4

Vote for the Best Image for July's 300 Word Writing Challenge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
And it's time for another Image Poll for the 300 Worder, so once again you lot get to choose the inspiration image.

As usual, we've picked four images from which you can choose, trying to have a spread of images to fit SF and fantasy and general indeterminate speculative fiction but, of course, you're not bound by our thoughts on what category any image might fall into.

To repeat what I've said before, when we mods choose an image, we look for one which we hope will generate the most entries and the most diversity of stories, so do bear that in mind when voting. Or vote for the one that most appeals to you or which plants an immediate story in your head. The important thing is to vote!

Even if you don't think you'll write a story this quarter, or none of the images inspire you, vote anyway. (Then write a story -- we want them all!)

This is also a Discussion thread, so do chat here about the images and/or the forthcoming Challenge which will start on 1 July.

The poll will stay open until 11:59pm (GMT) on June 29th. Do remember, the poll is an open one, so everyone will be able to see who voted and how.

The images are:

A -- Astley Colliery​
B -- Forest Tentacles​
C -- Spooky Statue​
D -- Light/Snow​

By the way, we always get consent to use images before we put the 300 Worders up, but once again we've been a bit slow in getting our act together backstage so we're still waiting to hear from one member about his picture. If he wins the poll but we don't hear from him before 1 July, we'll use the second placed image instead, but then -- providing he agrees! -- we'll probably chose his image for October's Challenge.

Weirdly, even though two others are among my choices for what to put in the poll, I voted for Light/Snow. I think I didn't look closely enough at it before.

Pretty sure B is an illithid turned into a tree. How terrifying.

At first I thought the colliery, which lends itself quite nicely to the horror genre but ultimately voted for Light Snow, as I think that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

I went for the colliery - it has a distinct feel and it'll be interesting to see what people come up with.

That is one of the strangest/ coolest looking statues I have seen.

I chose "A".

For me, all of the pictures have potential. But I liked that structure in the photo of "A". "B" would be the toughest of the four if I had to create a story for it.

I thought of three ideas for "A".