Sci-fi parallel dimension novel

Galactic Bus Driver

Unrepentant Book Junkie
The main character is able to "walk" between dimensions. Starts out with him "walking" into a dimension where "he" is a rock star dying of drugs, or maybe in rehab for drugs. There's a restriction keeping him from walking to some dimensions, but I can't remember if he has to be alive or dead, sick or healthy (or something else entirely), but the initial world he enters is an exception, I think.

Could I be more vague?!?

First read some time around 2006-2009.

This could be the first book in the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. The main character of the first books, Corwin, is in a hospital in the beginning of the book, and he can walk through shadows into different realities by adding and subtracting things. Some of my favorite books of all time

Not a Jerry Cornelius story, nor is it part of the Amber universe (read those just a year ago, give or take).

The only thing I remember with any certainty is that in the universe he first "walks" into, he's famous rock star.

Also sounds a bit like Interworld co-written by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves.

But not that much like it...

Yeah, it's not Interworld, another of my favs. I re-read all three of those periodically.

The book is not a YA title. Another detail I've remembered, upon the walker's arrival a female character, band mate, girlfriend, maybe both, is furious at him for faking his death/illness/rehab...

Yeah, I know, Not much to go on, but hope springs eternal.

Hi,

The Amber books also struck me as likely. But the plot doesn't sound like either the Corwin or the Merlin cycles. However, there were other Amber books written, not by Zelazny. Amd I believe there were also some short stories written by the man himself. And walking between dimensions sounds very like Amber.

Cheers, Greg.

I should have been more clear when I said this "the universe he first "walks" into, he's famous rock star." It's not that he becomes a famous rock star. 'He' can only walk to universes where 'he' already exists, or 'he' can only walk to universes where 'he' is deceased. I can't remember which of those it is, but I know it's one of the two and it's a critical plot point.

Well, I think I may have found it but I won't know for sure until I can find a copy at a used book store. Fortunately, there are still a good number of those here in Denver. "World-Walker" by Melissa Michaels. Link

I'll be sure to let you all know, if/when I'm able to find a copy, if it is indeed the one I've been looking for. :)

Back