Short story about a round pink alien

Rainonneptune

I read this sometime in the 90's, it was a short story in a sci fi anthology that was old by the time I read it, so the story is probably from the 70's or 80's. I think it took place on an alien ship, and there were aliens arguing about something. One of the aliens was a pink balloon type guy who turned blue when he got upset. The story was funny and I would love to read it again.

Nope, not Barbapapa. My mother was really into sci fi, and I read the story in one of her books. I feel like it had some big names of sci fi, like Isaac Asimov, but I don't remember who wrote this story. The aliens were arguing, maybe about whether or not to destroy the planet, and this pink balloon guy kept deflating and turning blue as the story went on and he became depressed.

Makes me think of the alien from Dark Star (1974)
images.jpeg

Then there was The Pinkness from Time is the Simplest Thing / Clifford Simak. Not a ball, didn't change colors, didn't do anything but sit still and let its mind wander the universe. But it was PINK!

I believe the story is Cabin Boy by Damon Knight. From the anthology Tomorrow’s Children by Isaac Asimov. I absolutely loved that book as a child, discovered it in the grade school library.

I believe the story is Cabin Boy by Damon Knight. From the anthology Tomorrow’s Children by Isaac Asimov. I absolutely loved that book as a child, discovered it in the grade school library.
I think this could be it, good find.
I hope the OP still checks in sometimes

Back