Need another term for farming "tramlines"

As an aside, has anyone ever seen a crop circle which did not touch any tramlines?
Not sure but I have seen a crop circle of Richard and Judy. Google it. Apparently left by aliens near where I live.

Back on topic, being a thorough urbanite, and not knowing they were called tramlines, I'd have called them tractor marks. Being that that's really the only vehicle I really associate with farms.

OK, now I'm done being silly as well.

But we wouldn't really say truck farming if trucks were bred. We would say we raised trucks. As in we raise cattle (makes us sound like we levitate them). We raise wheat, raise cattle, but farming means only the former--raising crops-- while we use ranching to indicate livestock.

With our diverse crew here, I wondered if the above terms vary. Hey, Scotland, Australia, Canada, what's your vocabulary here? I'm curious about non-English as well. We writers are always on the scout for words, eh?

Ranching is purely American. Breeding livestock still referred to as farming over here.
or if we are getting archaic here, it originally was animal husbandry ... which just sounds wrong.

Last edited:
City kids wouldnt know these “tram lines” from a section road. As someone posted earlier, they would likely call it a path.

@Harpo, ever seen aerial photos of fields on the High Plains of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado? With the general lack of surface water, farmers use “center irrigation” here. A central pivot contains the water supply with a rotating arm, supported by huge wheels goes round and round on a schedule watering the crops. You will see these ranging up to a mile in diameter.
we have plenty of pivot irrigation here in NZ - mostly for dairy farming in places where they shouldn't really be dairy farming

In the UK, pig-farming, sheep-farming etc usually means to raise those animals. I'm guessing that would be true for Commonwealth countries too.
same here downunder. we definitely don't use the term ranch except to put it before "slider" to describe a certain type of door.

Tire tracks. Or tyre tracks if you want to use the French, uh, I mean British spelling. I know that's not technically correct but that's what we called them when I was a kid.

Ranching is purely American. Breeding livestock still referred to as farming over here.
or if we are getting archaic here, it originally was animal husbandry ... which just sounds wrong.

There happens to be a highly-regarded research institute near me called the County Durham College of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fine Arts. You'd be astounded by what they get up to :)

We've used the term two-tracks for quite some time where I'm at:

Avalanche Preserve: Walking Trail

Distance: 2.2-mile loop
Type: Two-tracks
Terrain: Forested ridge
Difficulty: Moderate
Nearest City or Town: Boyne City

Usually referring more to rural backroad than anything else.

Tramlines usually gives me the metal lines a tram uses or the lines around a tennis court.

Both terms
Tramiline
Two-Track
Might be colloquial enough that the understanding of either could be limited to those who have used them in this way.

There is this:
Which might explain the usage of tramline as a term in farming for these types of farm.

Last edited: