Ten gems of advice for debut authors.

To me, all writing advice is light hearted opinion which should not be taken seriously. While the linked piece is intended to be humorous, it does perpetuate the myth that writing is agony and self-loathing the norm, which, of course, is nonsense.

Apart from a long spell of writer's block some years ago, which was more to do with anxiety than writing, I have yet to suffer for my art. And I don't plan to, as writing is very enjoyable and I love the challenge of writing myself into corners and getting out of them by my own creative inventiveness. I often sit there, quietly proud of my own brilliance. If writing ever becomes a grind or I start to hate myself, don't worry, I'll quit.

However, what I do find useful and interesting is hearing about how other writers tackle all those common issues every writer faces. I want their experience, not their advice, so I can compare it to what I do and see if it helps; and feel superior when I think I do it better. As soon as anyone tells me what I should or shouldn't do when writing, I switch off. Or, if sufficiently annoyed, I'll try to prove them wrong.

I can't help but think that the multitude of writers who want to say "Nah, its all fine" underlines why some of us find it so nice to hear a writer saying "It's crap on a regular basis and have a good moan about it with your friends when it is, you'll feel better".