(Found) short story: rich lead excessive lives, wear out bodies then transfermind into new fit body

VooDoo

story was part of anthology. i read in 90s but probably older. in the future the wealthy could live lives of complete excess, eat, drink, smoke, never exercise. then when their bodies begin to fail they have a science procedure done to transfer memories into a young healthy body.
the story focus was on what happened to worn out body. memories were tranfered but original person lives on being tortured through hard labor on a remote farm by a grizzled old guy that seems to hate his guts.

Yep. read that one in Omni, way back in the day. Didn't remember OSC As the author.

I think I've read this one-- and my take is that the 'Fat Farm' wasn't so much torture, but that the company that provides the service only has to clone a body once-- after that, they take the fat, abused body and make it exercise and be healthy, so when the customer 'needs' a nice, fresh, in-shape body, there's one available... and the company only has to clone the body once! :)

Back