Cool Comic Covers

Re. your closing comment - I know what you mean.

However, unfortunately, I think you've been fooled by the cover. It's a variant edition of issue 3 of a recent mini-series telling a story set forty years ago - but as far as I can tell, not a reprint).

Great idea for a thread though. Here are a couple of classics by Ditko and Kirby:

View attachment 53137 View attachment 53138
I'm lucky enough to own copies of both those comics.

Jaime Hernandez, 1989:

The Doctor Strange one is Dan Adkins, not Ditko. Ditko had quit Dr. Strange with Strange Tales 146 (and a great cover it is too.)

You're right - how did I miss that? And I have that 146 - great story.

For me, I enjoyed many of the superhero, horror and weird comic books. The stranger the stories, the better. I always looked for something different, that sparked my imagination.

This is the time a mutant alien horse beat up Thor and took his hammer. This comic had the fast value increase I had ever seen.
comics1.JPG

It was being sold for $10 the week after it came out.

Still remember how excited I got when my brother came home with this one:
dc-comics-showcase-issue-45.jpg

or how excited I got when I was able to come home with this one myself:

BandB52.jpg

Thor #143, from the time when I was under the enchantment of Marvel comics and this title especially. There's this fabulous impression of a mythic dimension invading the drab grey mundane metropolis.

Indeed. Compare with an earlier Kirby cover:

latest

I have the three Omnibuses and whilst the first "Journey into Mystery" issues can be a bit naïve, the issues in Kirby's last run are wild!

Back