Recommending New Street Stories

Montero

Supporter
New Street Stories is an anthology of stories and poems by New Street Writers, based around New Street in Birmingham. I rather enjoyed this so thought it deserved a punt. The common theme is New Street - but the writers have a lot of fun with this brief and every story is different and there is a variety of genre. So the earliest setting is the outbreak of the English Civil War, with the Royalist army arriving in Birmingham - historical fiction. There are several varieties of time travel stories, one harking to the 1970s the other to Buffalo Bill's Wild West show coming to Birmingham. There is a super hero story with Birmingham city centre getting a bit bent. A sort of vampires one. An urban fantasy set in the tunnels under New Street railway station with a special ops type team. Another urban fantasy set around Birmingham's canals and people disappearing. Several not genre stories - as in slice of modern life. Two poems evoking the city centre.
All the stories are well written and edited - I have a few small quibbles on a couple but nothing that stopped me reading the stories. Several of the stories are excellently told. I'd read another anthology from these folks and have tagged a couple of the authors as folks I want to read more from.

I remember New St and environs in the late 70s & early 80s as good fun but very dubious. With a train station that was more like a secret police HQ.

I've been to a couple of conventions in Birmingham, years back, and went by train - funnily enough I can't remember the station at all. The hotel though had all these painted carvings in it - they might have been rescued from an old building.