Solar Guard Reboot, maybe

KiraAnn

I am not sure where I should pose this question, so please correct me if it should be elsewhere.

For those of you who are young, Tom Corbett, Space Cadet was a riff on Heinlein’s Space Cadet. There was a tv show (15 minute episodes) in 1950 and 8 books starting in 1953.

I was always somewhat intrigued with the Solar Guard organization from the show and books and have thought some about a reboot. At least the organization though not the “space academy” adventures. The organization is a sort of UN space police or militia. The original show and books were quite childish, mysogonistic, and very very outdated in technology.

The question is should I? Or just create my own organization? Any thoughts?

I'm with Brian. People prefer originality.

And besides, you don't want to encounter any legal issues by writing stories based on somebody else's works. And if you did, the best you could hope for is for it to be considered fan fiction and never really taken seriously.

So if you want to write more than just fan fiction, then you really have to come up with your own organisation.

I agree with the others. It shouldn't be too hard. Organisations more or less all feel similar, and the main categories they fall under are only a handful: security/defense, governmental services, research/development, for profit, etc. You can surely make something akin to the Solar Guard without stepping on any toes. It's all about the context of the story.
a sort of UN space police or militia
I'm sure there are literally thousands of these organisations throughout science fiction literature. I bet you could copy&paste and just by NOT calling it Solar Guard you'll be fine ;). It might not be too satisfying for you that way though.

As far as upsetting people, it would only be fans. The basic series is in public domain now.

I do like the name Solar Guard though. It just sounds cooler than the hundreds of Space Patrols or Space Forces. ☹️

I will think of something. Really doesn’t affect my story at this point.

Back