Am I losing my love of Discworld?

I just finished the long earth series - they were all in the library. They were okay.

I definitely agree with some people liking certain threads of Discworld more than others. I loved the Death series personally, although I liked most of the Discworld books. I do feel the humour changed - the first couple were poking fun at fantasy tropes almost exclusively, but then I enjoyed it the most in the middle section where SirT was still mining that vein but also was poking fun at various other things. Towards the end I felt that he'd said everything that could be said about fantasy and was using Discworld for straight up satire of modern life. I still read them all but I wasn't quite as fanatic about the later books.

The thing that worked least well in the final books was that certain characters (Vimes for eg) had become self-aware badasses. They were given a good, respectful sending off. And that's kind of amazing to do for fictional characters, but it's not very funny.

I would say Guards Guards is amongst the best, if you haven't read that. And if you like that then the later followup of Men at Arms is great too. From around age 13 to 23 Discworld will have been my favourite book series. There probably wasn't anything else I read more than a trilogy of at the time. I always got one amongst my christmas presents for perhaps 10 years. I think there is the last 2 or 3 of the main series (not Tiffany Aching etc) that I haven't read. Probably Monstrous Regiment was the worst, though I wasn't a big fan of the first two Witches books. Nor did I think the first two books (CofM and LF) matched up to some of the books a few years later.
For me the group of beggars are hard to beat as funny background characters.
Although there is a lot in the same world he covers a lot of topics.

I stopped enjoying them after about the eighth.
I just wished he'd do something in a different world.
He was a terrific, insightful and brilliant author, but that focus on Discworld did it for me...

I would have liked to have seen him write a horror novel or two . I think he would done great things with that genre. :cool:

After I read my first few Discworld books, I got so excited that I checked out nine or ten and read them all back to back. Around book eight, I found myself enjoying it a bit less- it was still a good book, but it worried that I was getting tired of my new favorite author. I didn't read another one for about a year. When I did, though, it was as good as ever! For me at least, I seem to need moderation in my Discworld consumption for maximum entertainment.