The Bed Sitting Room (1969)

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
The Bed Sitting Room hit the theaters in 1969 , based on a play of the same name, It's post apocalyptic film and is by far one the most insane , inane, bizarre and incompressible films ive ever seen. The first time I saw it, I had absolutely no idea what it was about and yet this didn't stop me from seeing it several more times. Unfortunately, these additional viewings of the film proved unenlightening and clarified absolutely nothing .:oops: I still have no idea what it's about. One further mystery is the hypnotic effect this film has had on me . Whenever it came on tv, I felt compelled against my better judgment and my will to watch it.:eek:.

Last edited:
Yes! I saw this at Filmex (the Los Angeles International Film Exposition) in 1975, during their fifty hour science fiction movie marathon. (I was also at their fifty hour horror movie marathon in 1981, but I digress.) It has remained in my memory ever since. Bizarre and surreal, satiric and silly, there is nothing else quite like it.

My review, from 2003, with some memories of the marathon:

The Bed Sitting Room (1969)

Directed by Richard Lester; screenplay by Charles Wood.

There used to be this huge film festival in Los Angeles known as Filmex. Every year, as part of the festival, they ran a fifty-hour marathon of films in a particular genre. As a student at the University of Southern California in the 1970's, I was able to attend a couple of these things. One year it was the horror film marathon, where I saw such classics as Psycho, The Haunting, Dr. Phibes Rises Again, Les Yeux sans visage, and a bunch more, along with the world premiere of The Howling. Another time the theme was science fiction. I was only able to attend part of the marathon, and I don't remember much about which films were shown. (I do remember that Robbie the Robot made a special guest appearance on stage.) Two unusual films, however, remain in my memory after all these years.

One was Peter Fonda's offbeat time travel movie Idaho Transfer.

The other was The Bed Sitting Room, and I've never seen anything quite like it. (Although another surreal satire directed by Richard Brooks, How I Won the War, comes pretty close.) Stir together bits and pieces of Eraserhead, Dr. Strangelove, Brazil, along with some seasoning from Monty Python's Flying Circus and The Goon Show, and you have some idea what you're in for.

Based on a play by John Antrobus and ex-Goon Spike Milligan (although I can't imagine how anything like this film could have been presented on stage), the setting is England after some sort of holocaust has left only a handful of survivors. The visual impact of the film's sets are stunning. We see gigantic piles of rubble; we see a half-sunken cathedral. Two police officers fly over the ruins in a car tied to a hot air balloon. (Their only purpose seems to be shouting "Keep Moving!" to everyone they see.)

There's not really a plot here, as much as a series of very strange vignettes. People mutate into parrots (which are eaten), dogs, pieces of furniture, and, yes, even a bed sitting room. (One-room apartment to us Americans.) A young woman is seventeen months pregnant with something. The survivors patriotically sing "God Save Mrs. Ethel Shroake" to the closest living relative to the Royal Family.

The cast is made up of fine British actors. Rita Tushingham is the extremely pregnant woman. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are the flying policemen. No less than Sir Ralph Richardson plays the title role.

A hint of the mood of this strange, endearing comedy; the actors are listed in the credits in order of height.

I think some of the characters are Electricity Man For The Entire Nation (using a bike dynamo) and The Underwater Vicar Of St. Pauls (just from memory)

I've got it on videotape somewhere.
As a massive Goons fan, and anything Spike Milligan, I thought it was great. Still do, I suppose although I haven't seen it for years

Aha. Youtube comes up trumps again

Back