Game of Thrones: 8.06 The Iron Throne

Comes to mind that with the Unsullied and Dothraki both leaving Westeros there is nobody who gives a damn where Jon is!
He could just sashay back and claim the throne!

I enjoyed the final series, although I don't think it was as consistently gripping as previous series. Things like John and Dany's final scene, that should have had a similar impact to The Red Wedding or Joffrey's death, let it down. The Drogon/John Snow/Iron Throne moment was awesome though. I don't like to analyse these things too much really (perhaps I should, considering I write stories) - it is what it is. This is a good read from Scientific American, despite the click-baity title: The Real Reason Fans Hate the Last Season of Game of Thrones

Daenerys Targaryen is dead. But is she? Before you roll your eyes, fans of the show love conspiracy theories about characters not truly being dead. Plenty thought Jaime and Cersei Lannister somehow managed to escape a castle falling on them in Season 8’s “The Bells,” until we saw their bodies in the series finale.
Well, if you bring one character back to life, then you can bring them all.... and that is the problem with the "Death is Cheap" trope.

Well, if you bring one character back to life, then you can bring them all.... and that is the problem with the "Death is Cheap" trope.

Jon's 'death' just felt like a shaggy dog story.
I think GRRM just spins stuff that amuses himself.

And , yes, the Dothraki remaining did depart on boats when the Unsullied left , one could see it but they could have made that more explicit.
there were several Dothraki stroliing along the docks as Jon was walking through them - they did not seem like they were leaving. in fact, based on their culture, isn't jon their leader now after he killed the reigning khal(esi)
Mark Gatiss , after season 7 , before season 7, sometime had said he was to be in season 8, but then later said he was not in season 8. It sounded like there really was a change. I thought Tycho Nestoris might be at that meeting because of finical reasons .... as it was Grey Worm was the only Essos Dany rep there....
I have to wonder what Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H’ghar) and Faye Marsay (the Waif) were doing in Seville last year, was it more than a fake spoiler? Did they shoot scenes , with Arya I would think, that did not make it the episode. Jaqen H’ghar was one of the most interesting characters in the whole story …. and just nothing in the end.
it would be a real shame if Jaqen H'ghar had involvement in the final season that was cut. Tycho Nestoris not so much.

It seemed like only Grey Worm and Yara cared. I don't think the Dothraki cared at all. Might be right about it being a culture thing.

There were definitely scenes cut, it is rather blatantly showing.

yeah I thought their culture was like the mongols that if a stronger khal challenged theirs and won, they then became part of his khaldom(?). plus it definitely seemed like they were more loyal to the fighting and the killing than they necessarily were to Dany.

I really hope they release an unedited cut of the season if there were cut scenes. I don't know why they cut them (if they did), as the episodes weren't even as long as promised. I thought all episodes were going to be 90 minutes or thereabouts.

I really hope they release an unedited cut of the season if there were cut scenes. I don't know why they cut them (if they did), as the episodes weren't even as long as promised. I thought all episodes were going to be 90 minutes or thereabouts.

Box Set... wait for it. I'm sure they will release a special edition. Whether it will have the extra scenes or not, we will have to wait and see...

I like a big epilogue. I always end up wanting to know more about how things shake out after the fact. That made me predisposed to liking the finale. I was disappointed about some things and underwhelmed about others but overall I enjoyed it. It certainly won't make my list of worst endings. Something I've already seen it doing out on the interwebs.

there were several Dothraki stroliing along the docks as Jon was walking through them - they did not seem like they were leaving. in fact, based on their culture, isn't jon their leader now after he killed the reigning khal(esi)

Looked at that scene again. There is a ship loading horses , several ships loading horse, the Unsullied don't use horse.
As far as can tell the Dothraki left their families back in Essos.
Those Dothraki we see look headed to boats.
The Dothraki have less reason to stay in Westeros than the Unsullied.

Looked at that scene again. There is a ship loading horses , several ships loading horse, the Unsullied don't use horse.
As far as can tell the Dothraki left their families back in Essos.
Those Dothraki we see look headed to boats.
The Dothraki have less reason to stay in Westeros than the Unsullied.
I haven't rewatched it and missed the horses being loaded onto the ships the first time round. looks like the dothraki are headed home too then

It seemed like only Grey Worm and Yara cared.
How did Yara know that Jon had knifed Dany in the heart? Did Drogon carry her body and the murder weapon to the Iron Islands?
As they would say in High Valyrian: Līr iksis morghe kostagon dōrī morghūljagon! :D

How did Yara know that Jon had knifed Dany in the heart? Did Drogon carry her body and the murder weapon to the Iron Islands?
As they would say in High Valyrian: Līr iksis morghe kostagon dōrī morghūljagon! :D
Yeah, well it would have taken a week or two? to assemble that group.
By the one would think that everyone would know the whole story....
What did Yara think of Dany's action? Could be she didn't care.... I guess.
Did she discuss Theon's adventure with Arya?

Gemma at least appeared with some words.
Gemma had mentioned , so while back, about not getting to travel anywhere but Northern Ireland.
So must have been nice to get to go to Seville ...
(By the by it seemed to be known that Gemma Whelan was in Spain but there were no sneak pics of her.)

In fact, if the ending had been given time to breathe (at least a full season, but more realistically two), we might have had a successful ending (assuming some of the more galling decisions were also left on the cutting room floor).

Instead, this week we got what felt like a conclusion penned by people (understandably) desperate to move on to other projects and unsure how to make all the pieces fit. It’s just a show, of course, but I admit to feeling a bit of sadness over where we ended up.

But we did get an ending, and that’s something. Martin is almost certainly never going to finish the books—and now more than ever, I understand why.
The (End)Game of Thrones: Mythical pet redemption, VFX, and finale silver linings

Now that Game of Thrones’ series finale has come and gone, even more attention is being paid to author George R.R. Martin. He’s mostly been minding his own business and living his life while the rest of the world harangues him about the final two entries in the series of novels that started it all.

Writing, as everyone should know by now, takes time, but with the Westeros spotlight placed firmly back on him, Martin took to his personal blog to share a few congratulations and an update on his current progress. Martin explained The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring are still works in progress, and addressed questions about how much of the book’s events would be similar to Game of Thrones given that parts of the eighth season’s plot were inspired by ideas from Martin’s unfinished work:

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.
I am working in a very different medium than David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss], never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…
Book or show, which will be the ‘real’ ending? It’s a silly question.
Game of Thrones Author George R.R. Martin Has a Lot to Say About His Books After the Big Finale

Unicorns Mister Martin??? How do they fit in the picture? Certain scenes from the Witcher 3 pops immediately into my mind.

Game of Thrones Author George R.R. Martin Has a Lot to Say About His Books After the Big Finale

Unicorns Mister Martin??? How do they fit in the picture? Certain scenes from the Witcher 3 pops immediately into my mind.
Jimmy Kimmel did have a criticism of fan disappointments , "Like having an extraordinarily delicious meal ruined by a mediocre desert" , or something like that. Yeah the whole story over 8 seasons was a fine entertainment , I didn't find that the not so satisfactory conclusion took away from that.