Game of Thrones: 8.06 The Iron Throne

Jimmy Kimmel did have a criticism of fan disappointments , "Like having an extraordinarily delicious meal ruined by a mediocre desert" , or something like that. Yeah the whole story over 8 seasons was a fine entertainment , I didn't find that the not so satisfactory conclusion took away from that.

As a connoisseur of food shows and amateur greedy git, I can tell you that mediocre deserts do ruin extraordinary meals ;)

Jimmy Kimmel did have a criticism of fan disappointments , "Like having an extraordinarily delicious meal ruined by a mediocre desert" , or something like that. Yeah the whole story over 8 seasons was a fine entertainment , I didn't find that the not so satisfactory conclusion took away from that.

They didn't hype the ending. The fans created it. We did as everyone was expecting them to pull something like the Attack on King's Road. Or the culmination of the previous season, with the undead dragon demolishing the Wall. Everyone thought that it could not be done.

I expected them to breach and overrun the Castle Black and then move slowly towards South until the last players would be at King's Landing, and the death of the NightKing would finish the series, with certain people or no-one getting throne. The no-one was an option for me all of the time, as I expected them to all celebrate the few living they'd left.

By no means this was not a pure Disney ending. It was their version of the events George might have revealed. Weiss and Benioff could had done better job. But I let the HBO deal with this mess as it wasn't something I created. The people have spoken and some are clearly not happy.

It's their opinion and that's all it is.

To be honest, if you've been enjoying HBO's stuff, there is no reason to cancel subscriptions. If money is tight then by no means, go for it. But if it's not, it's not a way to show mind. Maybe it's better this way than them doing something else as it teaches a lot.

It wasn't a bad execution. It was okay ending. Good in places.

Try saying that after attempting to eat one of my homemade apple pies :ninja:

Now there is definitely no such thing as a bad apple pie, well nothing that a bit of custard or cream wouldnt sort out.

I enjoyed the entire thing as a whole. I don't think I'm qualified to say whether the adaptation of the book was good or not, but the storytelling in the final Season certainly seemed rushed. In any earlier Season the murder to Dany by Jon would have been at least one episode alone. The two battles would have taken several episodes each. Then there were the filming mistakes - there was a plastic water bottle in this episode, and previously, Jamies' real hand shown, and Dany's take-away coffee cup. This is surely evidence of not taking enough time or care? Or, am I wrong?

Then again there were battles in the first couple of seasons that were skipped entirely. Wasn't there one with Tyrion where he wakes up after the battle?

the ending didn't ruin the series for me but I was thinking of going back and rewatching it all from season 1 and now, knowing how it all ends, i'm not sure I will.

Bugg beat me to it! I posted the same thing :ROFLMAO:

'Does Dani remember who Cersei is?'
'Of course so!'
'I feel that I needed to ask.'

Wired UK posted an interesting article on the story-telling aspect, saying a lot of same things that has already been said

Game of Thrones asked us to believe in a Walter White-esque descent into evil, but justified by just a few pages of script. The moment left us with no choice but to conclude that Daenerys had simply gone mad, or, as Maureen Ryan points out in The Hollywood Reporter, that “Bitches are crazy”.

This kind of event, Waters says, violates the principle of Chekhov’s Gun – the idea that if a gun appears on the wall in the first act of play then it must go off in the third. There was no such gun for Daenerys’s sudden change in mental state. “The story tools must be inherent in the world of the story and not imposed from without,” he says. “If it’s not there, its sudden appearance feels like the writer panicked and has reached for closure by some sort of random means – the so-called ‘Deus ex Machina’, something lobbed in to wrap things up.”

This could also explain our sense that Daenerys’s transformation was unearned. “It feels imposed rather than something immanent in the character and the story – so it feels like the writer’s cheating, skipping crucial cues, to reach a preconceived outcome,” says Waters. “Ultimately stories, even gory ones, are relatively moral affairs: we want to know why people act as they do, and if the reason is set aside for contrivance it’s a let-down.”
How Game of Thrones violates a fundamental rule of storytelling

When the dust settles on the petitions, the vicious memes, the harsh reviews, and the horrendous IMDB score, Game of Thrones will go down as a good show that botched its final season. “A character arc tends to mean there’s some sort of consistent project a character has ethically, and a transformative journey they go on,” says Waters. “If you miss a beat in that process – if we can’t feel the logic of their transformation – it feels like the author has winged it.”

Also
The final episode of Game of Thrones marked the end of one of the biggest piracy topics in history. The show made dozens of piracy headlines over the years, ranging from prominent leaks, to a mind boggling record that's unlikely to ever be broken.
How Game of Thrones Made Piracy History - TorrentFreak

Wired UK posted an interesting article on the story-telling aspect, saying a lot of same things that has already been said

How Game of Thrones violates a fundamental rule of storytelling
Criticism about season 8 has a divide , many fans not liking the story and thoughtful critics who said the problem was how the story was told, in particular it's expediency. Really thoughtful critics like Myles McNutt, The A.V. Club and Alyssa Rosenberg, The Washington Post
pointed out structural problems with the narrative (some others did too)…. I thought the tragic ending was just fine (if one did not like that one would not like a number of Shakespeare's plays!). D&D have been angered by fan response fan to the story (in that they are justified) …… but I would hope , some day, they would address the dramatic structure.

but I would hope , some day, they would address the dramatic structure.

There is not much they can say that has not already been said. They cannot pull the magic rabbit out from their hat and make it different. It's just not happening, but like I said earlier, it's their version of the events that was told to them by Mister Martin. Like many of us, he knows roughly the ending he wanted, but not the details in between. And he said, "I wanted ten, but they gave me eight."

Well, seven and a bit. D&D knew what they wanted, and to get there, they had to short cut and leave certain things in the air. If the Mad Queen was the end result they wanted, and nobody sitting the throne, then they achieved it. Now it's HBO choice to decide if they want to do some additional shooting, in case it's not on the editing room floor or if they'll just stand behind their product and never ever release retouched season 8 on a hard copy.

It's over and there is not much that we can do to make it any different. Sorry.

There is not much they can say that has not already been said. They cannot pull the magic rabbit out from their hat and make it different. It's just not happening, but like I said earlier, it's their version of the events that was told to them by Mister Martin. Like many of us, he knows roughly the ending he wanted, but not the details in between. And he said, "I wanted ten, but they gave me eight."

Well, seven and a bit. D&D knew what they wanted, and to get there, they had to short cut and leave certain things in the air. If the Mad Queen was the end result they wanted, and nobody sitting the throne, then they achieved it. Now it's HBO choice to decide if they want to do some additional shooting, in case it's not on the editing room floor or if they'll just stand behind their product and never ever release retouched season 8 on a hard copy.

It's over and there is not much that we can do to make it any different. Sorry.
Well they could try to explain their haste!
Like I said it's not the story that's the problem is the execution.
I never heard a justification from them why the calculation was 13 more episodes.....
My impression was impatience.

Well they could try to explain their haste!
Like I said it's not the story that's the problem is the execution.
I never heard a justification from them why the calculation was 13 more episodes.....
My impression was impatience.

It is called Star Wars.

Perhaps, someday, after ASOIAF is finished, we may get another adaptation, like we did with Full Metal Alchemist.
A Song of Ice and Fire: Brotherhood perhaps