Has George Finished Writing Game of Thrones?

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Supporter
Has George Finished Writing Game of Thrones?

I know this question may have been asked before, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

Ut oh, I'm confused. I thought both were of the same series.

Game of Thrones was the title of the first book. The series is A Song of Ice and Fire.

And to answer your question:

No. What GRRM has to say on the matter

All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

So either GRRM is lying, or people are crazy

Although I'm not over-joyed by your answer I'm deeply appreciative of it. Now at least, if I'm going to bad-mouth GRRM it will be based on truth and not on rumors.

If he had finished Winds of Winter and they were holding back its release till after the show, they would certainly have given a date by now -- the ideal cash-in opportunity would be up to a couple of months after the show ends.

Also, publishing doesn't work like, say, the music industry which can often "drop" albums on an unexpecting audience creating a lot of buzz that dies away quickly - many (maybe the majority of) book sales will come from pre-orders, which relies on long lead times and a slow burn of word-of-mouth. As soon as the book is out, its shelf life is limited.

So I don't think he will have finished Winds yet. His publishers would definitely have let us know if he had.

@Lafayette That is probably the most honest comment I've ever read on the internet. (If I believed in emojis, I'd insert one here.) I wish you were here pre-2010... the GRRM forum was the most read on the Chrons. Lots of people... lots of theories... Go back and browse...

If TWOW is finished, they may be holding the announcement to coincide with the finale of the HBO series. If not, GRRM and/or his publisher will announce when they're ready. While you're waiting and if you're looking for political scheming, action, fallible characters, magic, and a gritty world... then I recommend Joe Abercrombie's First Law books (three books in a series, three stand alone novels, and the first of a new trilogy (already written) will be released later this year).... and add in lots of sci-fi and mythology to get Dan Simmons' epic Ilium... and subtract the magic to get the historical fiction (heavier on the fiction than factual history) and you'll get Shogun by James Clavell. Brian has often recommended Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series.

Edit: @Lafayette Not to be a huge jerk, but I'll say that I picked up AGOT and ACOK in late 2000 and read ASOS in January 2001. I waited four years for AFFC and six years for ADWD. And I've almost waited eight years for TWOW. I can only imagine how patient (or impatient) the people who bought AGOT in hardback back in 1996 must be... Patience, friend.

Last edited:
That's me Boaz. 1996 when I had jet black hair, no paunch, and could carouse with the best of them. Now I find myself sitting alone nursing a single malt as I pine about the lost years of my youth reading and rereading and rereading a certain Fantasy Epic.