Inviting People to PMs Problems

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I guess this is deliberate, not allowing it for non-mods. It could lead to a difficult situation if one participant in a thread can make it visible to others without all the other parties' consent.

So what is the check-box non-mods see when they start a PM?

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
That's weird, because I see "invite more" in a PM thread started by a non-mod.
Yes, I can see it when the non-mod PM'd me, but on his computer it's just not visible.

Presumably non-mods can't be trusted to invite others in, not even in conversations which they've started, whereas we're obviously trustworthy individuals who can do what we want. Though that doesn't explain VB being able to see it on threads he's started.

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I was looking at this post (my bolding):
Sorry, I fumbled my scan roll and was only looking at his later post.

That is curious, that he can see it but other non-mods don't seem to be able to.

And this is curious too, which I've only just noticed:

t gives me the option to add more when creating a PM thread, but doesn't actually send it if I add more than one.
That can't be right. surely? There seems to be several different rules in effect here.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Defo can see it - not tried it though, although it comes up with the right sort of prompt for adding new people - perhaps it's not enabled....shall we run a test?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, just to clarify:

- Members can start a conversation with one person, which is primarily done using the "recipients" field,
- Supporters have the ability to invite up to 5 people to join a conversation,
- Moderators can invite an unlimited number.

I used to allow members to invite more, but some spammers use the PM function to try and spam as many people as possible, so I had to cut that back.

Is that clearer? :)