Inviting People to PMs Problems

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
I'm having trouble expanding PM threads by adding more people - I don't know if anyone else has had that trouble, but I've run into it a few times and wanted to raise it (and hopefully get it fixed for me!)

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
I'm having trouble expanding PM threads by adding more people - I don't know if anyone else has had that trouble, but I've run into it a few times and wanted to raise it (and hopefully get it fixed for me!)
I think (not totally sure) that you have to be the person who created the conversation to add more people.

I can definitely see the 'invite more' on PM's I created, but it's missing from all the others from other peeps that I've checked.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
You should have a
Invite more

after the names, but I'm pretty sure non-mods are limited in number as Jo says, so if there are already 5 of you in the conversation, you probably won't be able to add more at this point.

One way around it if you want more than 5 is to make sure a mod is among them, since although we might be limited, I know TDZ has got as high as 15 participants, so that's probably enough. Though that might only work if the mod starts the conversation, thinking about it.

EDIT: re VB's point, it shouldn't be limited to the conversation-starter unless he/she has ticked the wrong box** Or don't non-mods have a "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" option when opening a conversation? (Seems an odd thing to limit to mods if that's the case.)

** EDIT2: that should of course be "hasn't ticked the right box" which, thinking about it, I never do, so perhaps most people probably don't.

Last edited:

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
It gives me the option to add more when creating a PM thread, but doesn't actually send it if I add more than one.

And I'm trying to add people to a thread I created with only two people - I just simply don't have the option available that I can see - I'll try and screenshot it later (but I can see the option to let someone else have the power to add people)

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
It is in very pale letters, I know that. It’s like light grey on a white background.

ETA: strike that, it’s not anymore. Mine is blue where TJ’s is red, but it’s visible. Used to not be, very.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
You should have a
Invite more

after the names, but I'm pretty sure non-mods are limited in number as Jo says, so if there are already 5 of you in the conversation, you probably won't be able to add more at this point.

One way around it if you want more than 5 is to make sure a mod is among them, since although we might be limited, I know TDZ has got as high as 15 participants, so that's probably enough. Though that might only work if the mod starts the conversation, thinking about it.

EDIT: re VB's point, it shouldn't be limited to the conversation-starter unless he/she has ticked the wrong box** Or don't non-mods have a "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" option when opening a conversation? (Seems an odd thing to limit to mods if that's the case.)

** EDIT2: that should of course be "hasn't ticked the right box" which, thinking about it, I never do, so perhaps most people probably don't.
I've never knowingly ticked the 'keep convo private' and I think the default is allow it to be public.

It seems that this 5 max for non-mods, no doubt the tip of some Byzantine set of rules regarding this functionality :), is the most likely explanation for some of the threads I'm looking at.

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I notice that all the people who've replied so far who say they can see "invite more" are mods.

Do we know this is at all visible for any non-mods?

@Venusian Broon, your reply didn't say whether you could see it or not.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I've just tried it with a non-mod PMing me, and sure enough there's no "Invite more" there, not even a band of colour underneath the names.

No idea what's going on, then.