Cities Of The Future

The Fall Into Night, acrylic on canvas. What? No one said they had to be happy futures
Fall into the night.JPG

Syd Mead. This video will just carry you on a 12 minute ride straight to what we thought the future would be. Did it turn out that way? Debatable.

I always wanted to live in a future city that's bright and shiny. With lot's of vegetation, flying vehicles and androids. Plus, we'd have the option to live on other worlds.

Have you been watching this season of Westworld? That's the way Singapore looks though with even more green.

K2

Trantor.jpg

Whenever I think of future cities my mind drifts towards the world of Bladerunner. But on the flip side I always marvel at the visionary of Asimov and his Foundation series of books. Moreover, I have always been impressed with his idea behind the planet of Trantor, with its city mostly bound in the interior, but with many "telescopic" towers rising to the surface. And this render by Michael Whelan is, for me, a perfect rendition of that vision.

Without too much elaboration, I've lived brief periods throughout the first half of my life in what were some of the most crowded slums on the planet. Oddly, contrary to what most people believe about them, I always found safety there. More so community unlike anywhere else. It was as though, 'if you were living there, then you earned your right to be there, was made welcome, and accepted as part of the larger family.'

Dark, dirty, run-down... none of those things really bothers me too much. Sure, I'd feel justifiably scared, but in an odd way I also felt safe because it was familiar. So, I tend to gravitate to 'typical' portrayals of dystopian cities vs. gleaming, pristine glass and aluminum. Those sorts of places I've always found cold and impersonal.

That's why with places I've lived in mind, I've developed and am writing about my own overcrowded dystopia of CASE City. The best lessons I learned in such places, hopefully I'll show regarding the people and how they turn trying times into shining ones.

K2

Bubblegum Crisis. Great visuals, great city backgrounds. But bland stories. The convertible motorcycles of the Knight Sabers and their hard suits were incredible designs. I watched it in English and saw simplistic stories repeated again and again. Too bad.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish I had been born in 1914, then I would have been 12 when the first issue of Amazing Stories hit the stands and perhaps in a frame of mind to be hooked on Hugo Gernsback’s vision of SF.
D9B1A5DB-0170-4B04-BCB4-5B255BCDB27A.jpeg