Cities Of The Future

Harpo

Getting away with it
Let's have a thread that gathers artistic images of the cities of the future, to inspire our imaginations.

This is Robert Crumb's City Of The Future.

image.jpeg

This is one I have been trying for some time to contact the artist about seeking rights to use it as a background image for my second novel: Sci-Fi Street by Andre Sutherland (wish he'd answer, I feel like a stalker :oops:):

e0f29d265580d242ae8d7145660c9c19.jpg

K2

Last edited by a moderator:
Though not wanting to derail the thread, regarding the 2000AD-CE Mega-City 1 cover above, I know there have been a few back and forth numbers on population and size, that was one of the fun things about my initial novel Lest ye be Judged in the LS series... Set VERY near future vs. the 2099-date of MC-1, my CASE City I wanted a tad denser...

265 avg. people vs. 77,222 avg. people per square mile (64% of the pop. at 232,000 to 833,000/sq.mi.), seemed a bit more reasonable ;)

K2

Last edited:
Though my thoughts typically lead to dark cities of decay and dystopian oppression, I have to admit that @Starbeast 's image above reminded me of my other half when thinking of urban environments. So, I decided to look up some visions of the future based upon sustainable, blending of the things of man and nature.

Baharash-sustainablecity-greenspine.jpg

vincent-callebaut.jpeg

ford_city_tomorrow1.jpeg

K2

In contrast, I have been following Detroit, Michigan's rebirth. If you investigate how the city grew (actually only very recently), spread out, then decayed from the inside out as new edges were added forsaking the old, some of the visions above are very much what they're leaning toward. First a proposal for using the freed up space as downtown is demolished, house by house, block by block:

Areas once dense neighborhoods, have turned to barren plots:
exposures-detroit-slide-EBQ2-jumbo.jpg

Planning is proposed:
1d5e506442d5ea265ec37d803d3655af.jpg

Detroit-Landscape-Urbanism-Michael-Van-Valkenberg-Popular-Mechanics-e1376729906492.jpg

Though some see it as we might expect:
rob-brown-downtown-01.jpg

K2

As I don't want to risk stepping on any of the artist's toes by posting their artwork somewhere without asking them first, I'll just post the link instead. On a digital artists community I'm on they had a 'cities of the future' art challenge. All I can say is, 'wow!' You might find some great inspiration from these creations.

Dask,you gotta be a fan of the trialblazers:Schoenherr,Gaugan,Freas,Emshwiller,right
What happens when a catastrophe hits a city (or building of the future?

Attachments

• ed-eon-february-1957.png
    ed-eon-february-1957.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 301