Title for a Science Fiction magazine?

There is always that 2001-S.O. reference...

Monolith...

K2

The name is somehow less important. It will matter more if you have a good graphic artist to create your cover and inside. I've been co-conspirator to a printed magazine and we stand out of the crowd with nice covers and interesting texts. Gardener Dozois liked our covers and we manage to publish 2 Nebula winners too attract more readers.

I'm fairly sure (dentist waiting room!) that there's an arty-farty literature and poetry magazine with that name already

Untrue! There is a Colorado region magazine by that name, and a Methodist mag., and an Oregon nursing board mag., and a Canadian Armed forces, and a B&O railroad historical mag., and a Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine publishes poetry, fiction, drama, book reviews, essays and interviews and runs a regular open poetry which is your arty-farty literature and poetry magazine... and a few others.

So no confusion there! 'Bob Magazine' however... well... there are a few of those too :rolleyes:

K2

and a Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine publishes poetry, fiction, drama, book reviews, essays and interviews and runs a regular open poetry which is your arty-farty literature and poetry magazine
That's it yeah!
I knew I'd saw it somewhere, not quite the title I remembered

The name is somehow less important. It will matter more if you have a good graphic artist to create your cover and inside. I've been co-conspirator to a printed magazine and we stand out of the crowd with nice covers and interesting texts. Gardener Dozois liked our covers and we manage to publish 2 Nebula winners too attract more readers.

Whilst I like pictures too, I keep on thinking of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I believe the artists should be paid for their creations, but it does mean that a reasonably guaranteed market should be there for such a magazine to at least break even. Any ideas on how to achieve this for a start-up magazine?

Another way of doing this is to scout graphic design forums, FB groups for people interested to collaborate. Obviously accomplished artist will not take the bait, but you might convince a rising talent to join for the money you can afford to pay.
If you have a literary club like we have, you can invite artists to showcase their work and then ask them if they will like to collaborate with your magazine.

Could a John Lewis type approach work?

Offer the artists a certain sum for every magazine sale, rather than a flat fee. Or have a small flat fee with a certain sum per sale. Something like that.

I'll see if I can find the thread

Found him! @WillGisby

Whilst I like pictures too, I keep on thinking of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I believe the artists should be paid for their creations, but it does mean that a reasonably guaranteed market should be there for such a magazine to at least break even. Any ideas on how to achieve this for a start-up magazine?

It costs more than you might think.

It costs more than you might think.

I already have some idea... I was lucky enough to get a cover done as personal favour on a reduced basis. When you think of the time, effort and resources spent to produce such artwork, the artists who want to make a living out of their art have very little choice but charge those amounts.

Of course this eats into the budget of any regular magazine. Which I suspect is a contributor to why writers get such low pay. Other than finding a way to almost guarantee selling sufficient copies to cover artist and writer costs, I don't see a way around this issue.

Back