Title for a Science Fiction magazine?

Harpo

Guess. Guess wrongly. Guess wrongly often.
Even though many of them resemble each other. I checked that list before suggesting The Sentinel.

scarpelius

The name is somehow less important. It will matter more if you have a good graphic artist to create your cover and inside. I've been co-conspirator to a printed magazine and we stand out of the crowd with nice covers and interesting texts. Gardener Dozois liked our covers and we manage to publish 2 Nebula winners too attract more readers.

dannymcg

The Mackerel of the Cornflake
Even though many of them resemble each other. I checked that list before suggesting The Sentinel.
I'm fairly sure (dentist waiting room!) that there's an arty-farty literature and poetry magazine with that name already

-K2-

mƎ know duM!
I'm fairly sure (dentist waiting room!) that there's an arty-farty literature and poetry magazine with that name already
Untrue! There is a Colorado region magazine by that name, and a Methodist mag., and an Oregon nursing board mag., and a Canadian Armed forces, and a B&O railroad historical mag., and a Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine publishes poetry, fiction, drama, book reviews, essays and interviews and runs a regular open poetry which is your arty-farty literature and poetry magazine... and a few others.

So no confusion there! 'Bob Magazine' however... well... there are a few of those too :rolleyes:

K2

dannymcg

The Mackerel of the Cornflake
and a Sentinel Literary Quarterly magazine publishes poetry, fiction, drama, book reviews, essays and interviews and runs a regular open poetry which is your arty-farty literature and poetry magazine
That's it yeah!
I knew I'd saw it somewhere, not quite the title I remembered

Serendipity

The name is somehow less important. It will matter more if you have a good graphic artist to create your cover and inside. I've been co-conspirator to a printed magazine and we stand out of the crowd with nice covers and interesting texts. Gardener Dozois liked our covers and we manage to publish 2 Nebula winners too attract more readers.
Whilst I like pictures too, I keep on thinking of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I believe the artists should be paid for their creations, but it does mean that a reasonably guaranteed market should be there for such a magazine to at least break even. Any ideas on how to achieve this for a start-up magazine?

scarpelius

Another way of doing this is to scout graphic design forums, FB groups for people interested to collaborate. Obviously accomplished artist will not take the bait, but you might convince a rising talent to join for the money you can afford to pay.
If you have a literary club like we have, you can invite artists to showcase their work and then ask them if they will like to collaborate with your magazine.

thaddeus6th

Could a John Lewis type approach work?

Offer the artists a certain sum for every magazine sale, rather than a flat fee. Or have a small flat fee with a certain sum per sale. Something like that.

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
Any ideas on how to achieve this for a start-up magazine?
There is someone on here who recently touted his services for free.

I'll see if I can find the thread

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Supporter
I'll see if I can find the thread
Found him! @WillGisby

Glitch

Supporter
Whilst I like pictures too, I keep on thinking of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I believe the artists should be paid for their creations, but it does mean that a reasonably guaranteed market should be there for such a magazine to at least break even. Any ideas on how to achieve this for a start-up magazine?
It costs more than you might think.

Serendipity

It costs more than you might think.
I already have some idea... I was lucky enough to get a cover done as personal favour on a reduced basis. When you think of the time, effort and resources spent to produce such artwork, the artists who want to make a living out of their art have very little choice but charge those amounts.

Of course this eats into the budget of any regular magazine. Which I suspect is a contributor to why writers get such low pay. Other than finding a way to almost guarantee selling sufficient copies to cover artist and writer costs, I don't see a way around this issue.