The Chrons guide to the greatest sci-fi films of all time apart from 1970 onwards because WIRED doesn't know what "all time" means

1930s has to be Gone with the Wind.

(edit: Gone with the Wind is credited as 1939 but released Jan 1940 so I'm not sure)

Gone with the Wind is some really serious science fiction, ;) but that's okay I read it wrong too at first (and I would have said The Wages of Fear, Casablanca and Ice Cold in Alex.)

However, for science fiction that's easier, The Time Machine, War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Along with 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, making Stanley Kubrick the greatest director of science fiction films of all time.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Fahrenheit 451
Failsafe (more a thriller really)
Barbarella (Hokey and raunchy, but it fit the era)
When Worlds Collide
Flash Gordon (1930's)
This Island Earth
Fantastic Voyage
And though I didn't like it, being a Hammer it's a classic... Quartermass and the Pit (in the U.S. Five Million Years to Earth)

K2

Last edited:
Having rewatched 2001: A Space Odyssey last week gave me a new appreciation of the movie and I totally get it's status as a sci fi classic.

My personal favourites SF movies prior to 1970 include The Day The Earth Caught Fire, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Time Machine and King Kong.

Of course, you can't discuss pre 1970 SF without mentioning Ray Harryhausen. Jason and the Argonauts being a particular favourite of mine.

1956 Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
X the Unknown
1958 Fiend without a face.

My greatest science-fiction films of all time, if time stopped in 1969, would be:
YearFilm
1969The Illustrated Man
1968A Space Odyssey
1968Barbarella
1968Planet of the Apes
1967Quatermass and the Pit
1966Fahrenheit 451
1962The Day of the Triffids
1961The Day the Earth Caught Fire
1961Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
1960The Time Machine
1959Journey to the Center of the Earth
1958The Fly
1956Forbidden Planet
1956Invasion of the Body Snatchers
1953The War of the Worlds
1951The Day the Earth Stood Still

Before the 1950s my knowledge is pretty limited, apart from maybe
1931 Frankenstein
1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
1927 Metropolis

* Note this has given me a chance to play with the new Insert Table feature I've only just noticed ;)