May 2019: Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer died on 7 May. I'm borrowing one for a few minutes. Lack of computer has been less of a nuisance than I might have expected, though I miss access to my Word documents. I have been keeping up with email on an iPad. I've been reading more in books, which has been good. After having owned a copy for many years, I read Rudolf Otto's The Idea of the Holy at last. I also read Alan Jacobs' The Book of Common Prayer: A Biography, an interesting and easy read. I finished my 13th reading of The Lord of the Rings, wonderful as always (not rereading the appendices this time), and took up something very different, a Phyllis Paul novel called A Cage for the Nightingale. I expect that I'll say something about it on the Phyllis Paul thread (Literary Fiction).

I started A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine this afternoon.
I've been dithering about that book.
Every week I stroll into my local bookstore and, for a few weeks, it's been calling out to me from the 'latest' display shelf.
A bit pricey just yet so I may leave it for now (unless you do a review and said review gets my buying tic started)

I've been dithering about that book.
Every week I stroll into my local bookstore and, for a few weeks, it's been calling out to me from the 'latest' display shelf.
A bit pricey just yet so I may leave it for now (unless you do a review and said review gets my buying tic started)
Westy did a review at SFF World a month ago. All I can say for now is, so far so good. It seems to be my kind of book.

Going to attempt The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. I heard it is slow especially the first 200 or so pages but the writing so far is nice and fluid.
I'm alternating this and catch 22 and it can be slow, but I'm really enjoying it. Nobody really writes them like this anymore.

I finished James S.A. Corey's Tiamat's Wrath. I enjoyed it more than the previous book in the series, one of the things that was a bit disconcerting about Persepolis Rising was that it felt like the characters hadn't changed much in the decades since we had last seen them, but it did feel like there was a lot more character development this time round, particularly for Naomi and Elvi. Since this is the eighth book in a nine book series the story is moving towards its conclusion, there are many significant plot developments and the finale is a highlight which sets things up well for the final book in the series.

I then read Mary Robinette Kowal's The Calculating Stars. I did like the book, I've always found the Space Race fascinating so it was interesting to read an alternate history version of it, although in this case the race is against potential extinction rather than against another nation. The book moved at a good pace although after the initial setup the development of the story did sometimes feel a bit predictable. I thought Elma was a likeable protagonist who did get some good character development through the story as she realises that as well as campaigning for changes that would benefit her she also has her own biases. although some of the supporting characters could perhaps have done with a bit more development.

Next up I think I'll read Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning.

Also read Last First Snow by Max Gladstone. First book of his I didn't like; possibly because I had the wrong expectations. But it just felt a little flat.

While I did like the book, I would say it's probably the weakest of the Craft Cycle books so far.

Last edited:
I'm alternating this [Dragonbone Chair] and catch 22 and it can be slow, but I'm really enjoying it. Nobody really writes them like this anymore.
I found the first one was quite well paced. The second was perhaps a little slower but nonetheless highly readable, as there was still plenty of movement and action. The third (which I'm reading, also, like you, alongside other books) starts really quite slowly. The first 200 pages do drag a little. Its picking up nicely now though (300 in) and I'm now "in Osten Ard". There are some great scenes and action even in the slower early chapters - its not unremitting. I enjoy it too. I think I find book series a little challenging these days though. I'm probably more of a standalone book kinda guy I think.

did you saw the series catch22?
Not yet. I've long cited it as my favorite novel but it's been at least a decade since I last read it so I decided to pick it up again before watching the series.

I'm reading The Sign of Four, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A great story with dark undertones and plenty of intrigue.
i think that story is the one that makes me remember that the first know serial killers where caught by a culinary critic lolo

I bought a copy of Jo Walton's Lent this afternoon at The American Book Center in Amsterdam. Will start reading as soon as my glass of Darjeeling is ready.

The Warship by Neal Asher, I'm starting this now, 03.22, no doubt that's my sleeping plans over and done with

Onto the second book in the Chronicles of the Black Gate. Enjoyed the first a lot, think the world-building's interesting, and hoping this and the third (got them as a 'box' set e-book) hold up.

Started A Perfect Spy by John le Carre, but so far it feels flabbily written and a bit all over the place. So I've diverted to Goodbye To All That by Robert Graves.

Finished Phyllis Paul's A Cage for the Nightingale. I expect to turn in a write-up at the PP thread one of these days. Impressive, but perhaps more involved with the "evidential details" (of two deaths) than usual; and, in the unlikely event of anyone getting hold of a copy, I'd advise the reader that the conventional clarifications of a mystery novel are sometimes withheld. A preliminary, tentative estimate would rate this one below Twice Lost (which will be easier for Americans to get hold of), A Lttle Treachery, Rox Hall Illuminated, and The Lion of Cooling Bay, but above We Are Spoiled and Camilla. Still to be read are The Children Triumphant, Constancy, Pulled Down aka Echo of Guilt, and An Invisible Darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.