DISCUSSION THREAD, May 2019 75-Word Writing Challenge

It's funny how it goes, isn't it? My story (Raven's Home) was one of the very few that I've entered that I've felt truly pleased with. There've been others that I thought were OK, and I was just pleased to be able to come up with something, and to my pleasant surprise they've then garnered a vote or two and some mentions. But this latest one was perfect as far as I was concerned. On the rare occasions when I feel strongly about one of my stories it usually goes pretty much unnoticed (thank you again Hazelrah!). I'm not looking for feedback or improving suggestions, because I'm delighted with the story. It's just interesting how one's inner world does not necessarily resonate with others.

I'm really bad at posting short lists, but your story was a very close second for me this month!

Hey @Hugh. I think your story is very good. You accomplished a lot in 75 words, and it's very effective writing, IMO. I've had it happen a number of times when I thought I'd written an excellent story, and then received no votes, and maybe only a mention or two. It's hard.

I think part of the problem is that, because there are so many entries, many times the stories are read only once by voters, and that's at voting time (I think this is true). It can be overwhelming to read so many entries so quickly, and a good story can get lost in the mix. I hope you won't mind my saying, but the only reason your story didn't make my lists was because of genre. This might be a limitation of my ability as a reader, but I didn't see it as a tall tale - it seemed more of a fable or myth. My reading of tall tales has been things such as Paul Bunyan; more outlandishly large stories, that are self-aware of their ridiculousness. Your story was pretty and quiet and earnest - all good things, but not what I'd expect in a tall tale. I hope I'm explaining that well enough.

Sometimes I've looked back at a story of mine whose performance disappointed me - after the glamour of creation has worn off - and realized I'd been wrong all along, but your story here, I really like. (Other times, I've thought later I was right, and I did right a terrific little tale.) But I always just shrug any disappointment off, because another challenge begins in a few days, and all I really care about is writing the things. :) But I do like your story, CC

@Hugh, i'm with CC above - yours was a good story and would have made my shortlist if I thought it had hit the genre - like CC I thought it was in the myth/fable/allegory genre

I think you always need to bear that in mind - a lot of people discount stories if they think it doesn't fit the theme or genre, regardless of how good the story is. and interpretation of the theme and genre can be pretty varied...

CC and Mr O are right. On several occasions I’ve started a 75 that met the theme / genre, made a few changes to ‘improve’ then realised, at the last moment, that it no longer met one or the other.

Last minute checking needs to be word count, theme and genre.

Another point is that, sometimes, the story in the author’s head isn’t the same story that ends up on paper, so to speak. This is especially true when the original has to be cut down to 75 words. The author still has the original vision but some of it has been lost in the editing by the time others read it.

Apologies! I had not intended to generate feedback/suggestions: I'd just wanted to reflect "It's just interesting how one's inner world does not necessarily resonate with others".
However, thank you for your comments.

@Hugh - My friend, I believe you are stating what all of us can say. We feel that our efforts are not noticed, and that the readers of our stories may not grasp what we all try to convey in a few words. However, I do believe that many see the heart of our tales and have the tough decision to make regarding one vote and small lists of favorites.

Like this month, I knew my own story wasn't great, but I enjoyed writing it. That's the best part of competition, being a part of something big. Even when we don't win (all the time, very rarely or at all), we all still cross the finish line.

Stay awesome bro.

Like this month, I knew my own story wasn't great, but I enjoyed writing it. That's the best part of competition, being a part of something big. Even when we don't win (all the time, very rarely or at all), we all still cross the finish line.

^this!

It's important (but difficult) to remember that every story is a success in one way or another; whether for its audience or author, and an absence of votes will never ever mean you're a poor writer, or wasting your time.

I'll never ever order anything from a menu with liquorice, celeriac, fennel or celery, no matter how posh the restaurant; but that is down to my taste, not the chef's skill. I think this is the same for the challenges here.

Oh, and congratulations, Circe. ;)

pH

This came through my facebook feed. A pictorial addendum to my story.
98C29519-969E-4FB6-B329-EE2DFAFC3D13.jpeg

This came through my facebook feed. A pictorial addendum to my story.
View attachment 54280

Unbeknownst to modern human owners, the dog breed known as Pug originally came from China. They were bred as assassins for members of the Imperial family. Indeed the distinctive coat colouring of light tan body and head but dark face and ears show how they were clothed in black silk except for their face in a copy of Japanese ninjas.

Back