DISCUSSION THREAD, May 2019 75-Word Writing Challenge

Okay, wow. I won? That's not supposed to happen! Especially not in a month full of intelligent, creative, witty and emotionally-resonant entries! And to think I spent most of this month berating myself for writing pushing and push in the same sentence (it was meant to say pulling).

I've been entering the seventy-fives for three and a half years now (how it's been quite so long, I'm not sure) and this is my first win. I'll be honest, I never thought it'd be this one. You folks just can't resist a rogue, hmm?

Thank you so much to everyone in this lovely group, voters or otherwise. This means more to me than I can easily explain here. Suffice to say you've all made my day, week & month.

Oh God, this means I have to choose the next theme now, don't I?

Okay, wow. I won? That's not supposed to happen! Especially not in a month full of intelligent, creative, witty and emotionally-resonant entries! And to think I spent most of this month berating myself for writing pushing and push in the same sentence (it was meant to say pulling).

I've been entering the seventy-fives for three and a half years now (how it's been quite so long, I'm not sure) and this is my first win. I'll be honest, I never thought it'd be this one. You folks just can't resist a rogue, hmm?

Thank you so much to everyone in this lovely group, voters or otherwise. This means more to me than I can easily explain here. Suffice to say you've all made my day, week & month.

Oh God, this means I have to choose the next theme now, don't I?

From someone else who broke their duck this year after many, many barren years, don't choose gothic ;)

Congratulations Shyrka! Great story, and I think we couldn't resist such an inventive rogue. Do you think Lord Montague believed him? ;)

Well done to TDZ and HB for the silver and bronze placings, as well.

I don't expound on the intentions of my entries very often, but I wanted to mention that the animals I sprinkled my story with weren't the Animals required by the theme - those were the folks of the US who used the doctrine of Manifest Destiny to steal North America from the Native Americans (and boy, the settlers did kill an awful lot of creatures on their path to the Pacific).

I must try writing less-bleak stories. Perhaps next month, with Shyrka's genre and theme.

Last edited:
And to think I spent most of this month berating myself for writing pushing and push in the same sentence (it was meant to say pulling).

Ha! Yes. I did actually notice that when reading it the first time around. I guess when the story is good and matches the theme so well, little mistakes like that can be forgiven.

It wasn't until a little while later that somebody explained the theme a bit more, which made me realize my own story didn't match the theme anywhere near as close as I thought.

Congratulations, Shyrka! A well-deserved win.

Congrats and commiserations for the nearly-theres, TDZ and HB!

The second half of my title undoubtedly confused everyone, but it was a reference to my entry CAT-A-STROPHE written in verse for the April 2013 Challenge which required tall tales about kittens ("strophe" relates to a kind of verse, though my entry didn't exhibit it). Clearly everyone's taste for catterel** has degenerated in the ensuing 6 years since on that occasion I made it into a tie-break! ;) So, elvet, if you want to clutter up your cat room a little more, feel free to print out and use the earlier verse, which is more noteworthy! You can find it -- in an inexcusably small font -- here April 2013 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO HAREBRAIN

** feline doggerel

Congratulations Shyrka! Great story, and I think we couldn't resist such an inventive rogue. Do you think Lord Montague believed him? ;)

I'd like to think so. Farnworthy's wisteria is quite magnificent, after all.

I don't expound on the intentions of my entries very often, but I wanted to mention that the animals I sprinkled my story with weren't the Animals required by the theme - those were the folks of the US who used the doctrine of Manifest Destiny to steal North America from the Native Americans (and boy, the settlers did kill an awful lot of creatures on their path to the Pacific).

I really enjoyed yours, I must admit, I thought it was a clever concept and very poignant.

I must try writing less-bleak stories. Perhaps next month, with Shyrka's genre and theme.

*checks notes*

Er...

*frantic crossings out*

Good luck?

Congrats to @Shyrka !
One last mention sneaked in courtesy of Ursa, which takes me up to 5 this month. Very pleased with that.
My story was inspired by a very topical discussion veterinary medicine is having right now. Over breeding just for aesthetics has resulted in many breeds with severe deformities. I wanted to put a humorous spin on getting the message across. I was quite happy with the result, even though it may not have filled the brief exactly.

Last edited:
Congratulatioms to Shyrka! looking forward to a unique challenge in June.

For those of you who read my story and just didn't quite get it, here's some background:
21e491f1e00088dbb94b2f57cf6c3a23.1000x563x1.jpg
NOS_4912.jpg

Back