DISCUSSION THREAD, May 2019 75-Word Writing Challenge

@Perpetual Man .... 40 Days and 40 Nights .... A long time ago when the earth was young there were more kinds of animals than you've ever seen, there were cats and rats and elephants but sure as you're born, the loveliest of all was the ??????????? (You'll need to read the story.)

I thought no one will get the reference... should have known better, and I guess if anyone would have got it it would have been Parson.

Once again a delicious run of stories, and pruning them down to just one was always going to be hard.

Reading through them all I realised that Giraffes did quite well out of all the animals, it is funny how we tend to gravitate toward them when animals and tall stories come together. Anyone would thing they were tall or something.

There were also a number of stories that dealt with man's detrimental influence on the planet and the animal world specifically. I think that says a lot.

There was a really long list I could have voted for, but in the end settled on Shyrka's story

Well, now to finish the reviews....
@Perpetual Man .... 40 Days and 40 Nights .... A long time ago when the earth was young there were more kinds of animals than you've ever seen, there were cats and rats and elephants but sure as you're born, the loveliest of all was the ??????????? (You'll need to read the story.)
Reminded me of this from my childhood...

Apologies if this sort of thing isn’t allowed yet in the process. I’m sure a mod will remove it if I have erred.
Now to pick a fave...

I always thought it was Val Doonigan who sang that song!
I'm pretty sure that the group that made it famous here in the states was "The Irish Rovers"

Interestingly, that song was in my daughter's dance recital last weekend, accompanying the tiniest group of the dancers, with their little unicorn horns, and I thought it might be Dennis Day. It was definitely someone Irish, and listening to those two you mention there, I can't decide if it was one of them or not. It wasn't quite the versions I found just now, anyway.

The humorous stories caught my eye this month, and there were many to choose from.
I enjoyed these:
@Ashleyne
@Pedro Del Mar
@Perpetual Man
@L.L.Lotte
@TheDustyZebra

In a tie for second place were @Shyrka and @reiver33 for two very different courtship stories involving giraffes.
My vote went to @The Judge . That is a purrrfect ‘Ode to a Cat’. May I have first dibs (when it is published) on using it for my cat room?

Many thanks to @Starbeast , @L.L.Lotte , and @Ian Fortytwo for the mentions. I had fun writing that one.

As usual, started my list with intentions to limit to about five, and ended up with way more...

LONG LIST:
@HareBrain THE HEIGHT OF VANITY
@Victoria Silverwolf The Escape
@Daysman Glasshouse
@reiver33 How I Met Your Mother
@Alex The G and T Almost True Story
@Peter V Post Apocalypse
@Artoriarius Solely Written for the Porpoise of Punning
@Dr_R_Dizzle Well I'll be a...
@Nicole J. LeBoeuf New Neighbors
@drmatteri .... Blue ....

@Perpetual Man .... 40 Days and 40 Nights ....
@LittleStar Boiled Down

@Stable .... Panroachia --
Stable, if I had I had read your story before submitting, I probably wouldn't have submit mine. Sorry for the overlap! I love that you had the same idea in mind, and love your story! Peter V got in there with cockroaches, too. I agree! I think it will be cockroaches, rats, crows, pigeons, and seagulls...But let's hope it doesn't come to that!

SHORT LIST--you cracked me up and I enjoyed reading these so much:p
@The Judge FELINE GREAT (or Cat-a-Strophe revisited)
@M. Robert Gibson Gordan the Flatulent Barber Dragon
@MikeAnderson Shaolin Sloth

VOTE:
@TheDustyZebra How Hummingbird Saved Spring--
I'm so in love with the image of this story! It's clever and lovely and I think it should be a new standard folktale for the changing of the seasons :giggle:

VOTE:
@TheDustyZebra How Hummingbird Saved Spring--
I'm so in love with the image of this story! It's clever and lovely and I think it should be a new standard folktale for the changing of the seasons :giggle:

Aww, thanks so much! It's really just wishful thinking on my part, as we're still having winter here and my hummingbirds haven't shown up yet. :D

This was a hard group of stories for me to judge. I probably took too hard a line. I wanted Tall Tales with impossible deeds by humans assisted by or for animals. The perfect example for me are the tall tales associated with Paul Bunyan and Babe. Also a lot of these stories I would classify as morality tales, more than tall tales.

Must mention:
@The Judge .... FELINE GREAT (or Cat-a-Strophe revisited) ....
For a tall tale filled with the hyperbole necessary and yet a wonderful verse.

Short List:
@Victoria Silverwolf .... The Escape ....
for a tall tale which left me smiling.
@Alex The G and T .... Almost True Story .... for a tall tale with an ending completely unexpected.
@Shyrka .... Tall Animal; Taller Stories .... for a tall tale that might well have been told before, but with serious consequences I suspect.
@Tywin .... We All Knew They Could Play Poker .... for a tall tale that was on target and completely original.
@drmatteri .... Blue .... for a tall tale which extends the myth of Paul Bunyan.

Vote: There was almost no doubt in my mind from the moment I read it:
@Shyrka .... Tall Animal; Taller Stories

Back