The Orville - 2.14: The Road Not Taken

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Fantastic finale to this excellent Season.

I was wrong. I admit it. @BAYLOR was right.

Kelly's decision not to date Ed a second time is likely going have dire repercussions on the timeline.

I never thought they'd have it in them, to follow through with the seemingly throwaway, 'Kelly not second dating Ed plot', but they went full-on. This gave Seth the opportunity to pastiche the Star Wars that he loves so much. There were so many nods and winks to Star Wars and the Rebel Alliance that I'd never be able to itemise them here. And we got to see Alara again. Now the Orville has its own Mirror Universe which I'm sure we will see again sometime (if it gets a third Season.) If not, then it is yet another Season closing episode that would make one of the best Series ending episodes ever.

I got the Star Wars Hoth vibes right from the start, with a masked Ed and Gordon stealing a food synthesiser, before the Kaylon’s heads came off, turning them into laser gun-mounted flying drones. Loads of great lines, most of them were Gordon's as usual.

I've waited for an episode like this for two season. This is the potential of this show. I really hope they can repeat is in season 3.

Kelly's decision not to date Ed a second time is likely going have dire repercussions on the timeline.
This proves that if you ask the Magic 8-Ball enough questions, it eventually gets an answer right. ;)

the Kaylon’s heads came off, turning them into laser gun-mounted flying drones

The Kaylons continue to amaze me. As startling as it was the first time their heads transformed into guns, I was even more startled when their heads detached to become flying gunships. They would be more than a match for the flying Daleks.

There were so many nods and winks to Star Wars and the Rebel Alliance that I'd never be able to itemise them here. And we got to see Alara again. Now the Orville has its own Mirror Universe which I'm sure we will see again sometime (if it gets a third Season.) If not, then it is yet another Season closing episode that would make one of the best Series ending episodes ever.

The Orville could easily stand on its own as one of best sci-fi tv series. The references to classics like Star Wars and Star Trek are just gravy -- delicious, delightful gravy.

Last edited:
I've waited for an episode like this for two season. This is the potential of this show. I really hope they can repeat is in season 3.
I would be less worried about a third season if The Orville aired on any network other than Fox. I hope the decision-makers there realize what a treasure they have in this show.

I just watched a Family Guy episode in which the same thing happened. Death sent Peter and Brian back to 1984 and Peter didn't date Lois. She married Quagmire instead, and Peter married Molly Ringwald. Al Gore is President and the USA has gun laws. Peter and Brian have to go back and stop Lois from kissing Quagmire at the Country Club Ball. The band plays Earth Angel and there is a whole Back to the Future pastiche with Rick Astley instead of Chuck Berry.

I also liked this one, though I have seen too many alternate timeline shows. Edith Keeler must die! "The City on the Edge of Forever" has far less widespread consequences! I am not really much interested in Star Wars as I am in Trek, TOS, because that was part of my childhood, so, I cannot think of any homages to Star Wars. :LOL:

Fantastic finale to this excellent Season.

I was wrong. I admit it. @BAYLOR was right.

I never thought they'd have it in them, to follow through with the seemingly throwaway, 'Kelly not second dating Ed plot', but they went full-on. This gave Seth the opportunity to pastiche the Star Wars that he loves so much. There were so many nods and winks to Star Wars and the Rebel Alliance that I'd never be able to itemise them here. And we got to see Alara again. Now the Orville has its own Mirror Universe which I'm sure we will see again sometime (if it gets a third Season.) If not, then it is yet another Season closing episode that would make one of the best Series ending episodes ever.

I got the Star Wars Hoth vibes right from the start, with a masked Ed and Gordon stealing a food synthesiser, before the Kaylon’s heads came off, turning them into laser gun-mounted flying drones. Loads of great lines, most of them were Gordon's as usual.

It was a great finale. Awful repercussions for everybody in the Galaxy . What the Kaylons did to Earth, the massive craters in North and South America and , the dead Oceans with no fish and the demolished moon. Devastating to behold. :confused:

I think it will. Its too good a show for Fox to simply scrap.

This proves that if you ask the Magic 8-Ball enough questions, it eventually gets an answer right. ;)

The Kaylons continue to amaze me. As startling as it was the first time their heads transformed into guns, I was even more startled when their heads detached to become flying gunships. They would be more than a match for the flying Daleks.

The Orville could easily stand on its own as one of best sci-fi tv series. The references to classics like Star Wars and Star Trek are just gravy -- delicious, delightful gravy.

Orville is a great series and I think when it finished it run (Which I how is a long one) , it will be one the all time great science fiction series. Right up there with Star Trek, Babylon 5 . Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica, Dr Wo , Stargate SGI ect.

Nitpicking: Hiding in a black hole event horizon?
Isn't that the point of no return for anything within the reach of the black hole? Would a less-than-stellar starfreighter be able, not only to hang out in the black hole gravity well, but have the oomph to pull out of it after the Kaylon had stopped searching for them?
Just sayin'. :)

The Kaylon vs Earth story arc has been fantastic, and they capitalised on it well with this episode. The writers should be proud of what they have achieved with this show. Many I know have dismissed this show as a comedy, semi-spoof show that can't take itself seriously. This season proves them wrong.