Game of Thrones: 8.01 - Winterfell

Well, George has admitted that it all got away and he couldn't stop world-building or staying within the limit. But when you write Epic Fantasy, everything tends to be Epic, even the length of the books. This same thing happened with Rowlings, as her books grew towards 100k and then went well over, possibly by the editors suggesting her to let go of those restrains.

I personally think that George loves doing world building, maybe even more than writing drama and sweating over it as if suddenly he would have lost the talent. I suspect that he has finished the book a couple of times, but like anyone of us, he cannot get over the edit and rewrites. To me, edit might cut 15 to 16 000 words from 100k, but the rewrites will bring it back, and in some cases take it over. If he does not have a limit for the Winters book, or even for the Springs, then it will take time before its out.

I too have a number of characters I'd like to write out in the course of one book, but I try my best to not go there, and instead of putting them all in one, I compress things around the story.

The problem isn't so much that the show needs to steamline certain storylines like Dorne imo. The problem is that the show doesn't bother to give answers to time and space. In the first seasons it takes forever to travel westeros. Now people are just teleporting around the map. GRRM finds ways to make it work. the show doesn't even or barely tries to make the travelling around look normal in the latter seasons.

The problem isn't so much that the show needs to steamline certain storylines like Dorne imo. The problem is that the show doesn't bother to give answers to time and space. In the first seasons it takes forever to travel westeros. Now people are just teleporting around the map. GRRM finds ways to make it work. the show doesn't even or barely tries to make the travelling around look normal in the latter seasons.
I don't think it was so bad this episode, we don't know how long it took Danny and Jon to get from , some landing* in the North? to Winterfell, not much traveling around Kingslanding and it been all since season 7 for Tormund and Beric to reach Last Hearth , tho don't know exactly why Edd is there?
Have noticed that between seasons there is always an implied 'time passes' tho not always clear how much!
Even George had a problem with Arya in Braavos , where 5 years was supposed to pass, and it still may when he see Winds of Winter.

*A detail that intrigues me (that most of the audience does not care about) is where did the Dothraki come ashore? Seems the Unsullied came overland from Casterly Rock to KL .... did both the Dothraki and Unsullied get back on ships to go North?

Great episode. Yes, I know it was basically setting up the Season but it had all the characters together, some for the first time in years, and that made for some great lines.
What is Bran doing basically... very little considering what he could be doing.
He is just sitting back and watching, making the odd comment, when he could be telling them everything he knows.
Bran as the Three-Eyed Raven is just plain spooky.
That's why it is spooky. Somehow he is always in the right place watching.
I'm looking forward to Bran looking at Jaime and saying: "The things I do for love"
That final scene! In the right place again. Just that Bran stare!
I sensed something more than blacksmith sparks flying between Aryan and Gendry.
You can see where this Season is going with pairings. If Jon and Dany got married right now, would that not solve all the problems.
Is Cersei planning to attack the Northerners before the dead arrive? Or she will expect that the Northerners and Unsullied etc will beat off the Dead, be weakened, and then she can send her men to victory against the remnants?
She said the latter, but as a plan it sucks. The former plan sucks too.
A little odd that Dondarrion et al didn't see any of the Walkers on their way to the castle.
Was that supposed to mean something significant? It is odd, but it may have simply been a convenience i.e. they'd be dead if they had and then we wouldn't have those scenes at all.

8.02 tonight. With only 5 Ep left I am very curious to see if a scene from Essos makes it in E2 or E3 (tho E3 may have only one location).
Because , even in the books , there is this running thread by way of the followers of R’hllor , the main proponent being Melisandre of Asshai, various round-the-edge priests and priestesses of Volantis (season 5) , and Kinvara is season 6, all warning of , essentially, The Night King and an invasion.
The Kinvara appearance in season 6 drips with all kinds of info, R'hlor supports Dany, a back story for Varys. It is stated in season 7 that Melisandre is going to Volantis and will be back. So I guess we will see Volantis soon? Will Ania Bukstein be back? All that stuff with Varys explained?

Speaking of Essos is Meereen just left hanging?

bOu80x2.jpg

Sansa, Jon and Daenerys

The odd one out in this picture seems to be Sansa. Jon and Daenerys teaming up, yes I expected that. Sansa, I did not. And so I wonder whether she's about to betray them to Jaime. I don't think she's on their side. I don't think Jaime is either. I also think that she will probably live through the ending where the other two may not. I mean after Jon disposes of the White Walker threat in what I'm going to predict as being a very cliched single combat moment between him and the Nights King.

Just watched this - it seemed a good episode, very much in line with what's gone on before, with some nice dialogue quips. Was disappointed not to see it build up more, but frankly it was good to see all the setting up as I'd completely forgotten which characters were where.

Found the Euon and Cersei section silly in that she gave in too easily - seems like the writers are playing up to the "whore queen" trope.

Good to see Jon's parentage finally revealed, especially to Jon. I wonder if Dany, upon later being told, will dismiss it as Sam trying to get back at her for her killing his family? Besides, didn't Sam hate his dad??

Anyway, would have preferred a bigger cliffhanger, but am happy to wait and see what happens next. :)

Btw:

Sansa: "I used to think you were the cleverest man in Westeros."

Well, she's right - don't know why Tyrion believes his sister will help, because Cersei's best advantage is to hold back and finish whichever remaining army is left. :D

EDIT: Btw, anyone else notice in the new intro credits that there's a giant crossbow in King's Landing pointing at a dragon's head? Spoiler, perhaps?

Btw, anyone else notice in the new intro credits that there's a giant crossbow in King's Landing pointing at a dragon's head? Spoiler, perhaps?

It will become clear. There are a lot of symbolism in the title credits and they change from episode to episode as the season progress. So keep looking, you got good eyes.