Star Wars IX: Rise of the Skywalker (Trailer)

It boggles my mind that they didn't pre plan the entire trilogy before hand. That is the explanation for the majority of the shortcomings though. Failure to plan = planning to fail, as they say.
To be fair, TV shows do this when they have no idea how many seasons they will get, and the stories naturally unfold, just as they would in real life. Real life is complicated, with many twisting corners, and there are no happy-ever-afters. What is absolutely wrong here is not the overall arc, which must surely have had some kind of planning involved, if only a few scribbled notes, but the retconning, and as you say...
directors knocking down and pulling apart each others creations.
That is a recipe for chaos.

I'm really undecided about whether to see this one or not. Maybe I'll toss a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.
I think I'll go and see it. I made the mistake of not going to see Episode III. Partly because Episode II made me fall asleep in the cinema and it was gawd-awful. When I finally got round to buying a cheap copy of Revenge of the Sith...actually I thought it was pretty good. George should have just done that one and then moved onto sequels.

So...you never know. Might be alright.

Not planning the outline of a final trilogy seems incredible. Dreadful. I would have to put this at Disney's door.

There will be some ideas taken from George Lucas's 1970 plans for more episodes. Although he later said he never really had stories for those later movies. He said episode 6 ended well with the tragedy of Darth Vader, and Luke saving the universe.... but then apparently he had some input in to sequels in the early 2010s..and then Disney said to start the sequels from scratch.

Are there some senior writers that are involved in all 3 of the sequels?

It boggles my mind that they didn't pre plan the entire trilogy before hand. That is the explanation for the majority of the shortcomings though. Failure to plan = planning to fail, as they say.

I would even have been curious to see an entire trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson. God knows what that would turn out like. It would probably have major flaws, but anything is better than having directors knocking down and pulling apart each others creations.

Pretty much. I was initially pretty excited about Rian Johnson, given that Looper was interesting and Brick is one of the most underrated noir films of the last few decades. In retrospect, the things I liked about those movies, subverting genres and twisty plots, are exactly the things that I'd say went wrong in TLJ. It seemed like in a lot of cases the plot decisions were made based on what was less expected rather than what worked for the script/trilogy as a whole: twists for the sake of twists. Luke as grumpy and angry, Leia's not-so-death, the codebreaker proving unnecessary, the puzzling and underwhelming conceal & reveal of Laura Dern's plan (I can't even remember the names of the celebrity cameo characters)... it felt like all the set up JJ had done in TFA was torn down rather than built upon, just for the sake of misdirection and having spoiler-worthy surprises.

I will go and watch it.

There seems to be a serious lack of indecisiveness and forward planning at Lucasfilm. (Exactly the same thing happened at Lucasarts. Indicision was the main cause of it's demise.)

It's a far cry from the competency shown with the Marvel franchise.

Last edited:
Though is Marvel an easier case? They can always drum up new bad guys for Marvel superheroes to face. Plus the superheroes never (rarely) get killed off.

I just think that Lucasfilm/Disney have been a little lazy using OT characters and vehicles with this trilogy. I understand that they probably want to reel in the older fans, but to have not ending mapped out seems a little silly. I am genuinely interested to see where Disney will take the Star Wars franchise.

If the latest spoiler dumps are true (and they usually are mostly true when featured on that particular forum), it looks like Abrams and co will manage, if not to erase, at least to lessen the stain that will be left over the saga by Rian Johnson's puerile self-destructive urges. Sounds like the movie has potential.

Not sure we're allowed to post spoilers here (even in spoiler tags) so I won't but these will be easily found by those who want to have a look.

Best to keep spoilers in tags, or even better, in actual discussion of the film by those who have watched it. :)

There was a huge amount of speculation before The Last Jedi, which arguably contributed to dissatisfaction with it when little was actually tackled.

A big space battle at the end in repeat of Return of the Jedi? No surprise there.

What would be a surprise is if they're also repeating something of the Endor Moon beat. The trailer isn't clear, but the star destroyer rising from water looks cool. :)

What stands out the most from the trailer is that it doesn't actually reveal much of the story, which I'm taking as a good thing - though this means it works more like an extended trailer.

Either way, my younger kids recently asked for a Star Wars binge, which we did - prequels, originals, then the first two films of the Disney trilogy - and now they might actually be interested in going to the cinema to see this film, rather than just wait for the DVD as I'd originally planned. I hope to enjoy it, but expectations remain muted.

The Falcon looks great, although I'm convinced that it'll be destroyed in this move. Not sure on the how and why of the new dish, though. Did they loose it in TLJ? Nice to see the Ghost there, too.

The Star Destroyer rising from the water looks spectacular.

I'm not excited, but I do want to go and see it.

Although there is some murmurings from the Emperor, and the scowling face of Kylo Ren, it looks upbeat. Ready for the forces of good to bring home the glory.

It's been like that since The Force Awakens - presumably after it was ripped off during the Death Star attack in Return of the Jedi. :)

I think he meant that it was now back to the original round shape:

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 7.17.10 p.m..png

Unlike so many here, I can hardly wait. I'll see it as soon as I can.

The one thing that's been eating me about these movies is the space battles. There is no way so many space ships would bunch together in that way. they don't act as a fleet it's just a willy nilly charge into the enemy lines. They need Weber or Campbell to show them how these battles if ever fought will actually look.