Star Wars IX: Rise of the Skywalker (Trailer)

Looks like they are desperately trying to bring back on board original fans by connecting with the original trilogy as much as possible, not least by a title that seems to implicitly name Rey as a Skywalker, as originally seemed alluded to in The Force Awakens - plus dresses her up just like Luke on Tatooine. Additionally, we have the return of Lando Calrissian, and some nice group shots implying a better mix of original and next generation cast. Then we see the remains of a Death Star, have Luke's narration saying he was never really gone. Oh, and Palpatine's laugh at the end...

Last edited:
This further fuels my suspicion that the plot of the new trilogy was not mapped out beforehand. I doubt that Lando or Palpatine were originally meant to feature in this trilogy, and they have done everything they can to phase out the older cast they did use.

Looks like a lot of course correction has gone on behind the scenes.

I'll be watching the movie for sure, but to this day Im still not sure how I feel about The Last Jedi.

Picklematrix, aye, Episodes VII and VIII appear strangely disjointed, it's just weird.

Picklematrix, aye, Episodes VII and VIII appear strangely disjointed, it's just weird.
I would be surprised if JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson ever actually collaborated on the script writing process.
I wonder if they even sat down in the same room together hehe

A few thoughts about the title and that enigmatic trailer.

After Episode III came out in 2005 and fans tried to find new ways to dissect the film they had already watched dozens of times to keep it fresh in their minds, a theory started to gain traction, fuelled by the opera house scene between Anakin and Palpatine.

In that scene, Palpatine recounts the old legend of a Sith named Darth Plagueis the Wise (actually a real character and Palpatine's first master) who would have found a way to manipulate the Force in order to "create life". As Palpatine says those very words, he turns to look at Anakin and smiles. Interestingly, they have this conversation in front of a ballet involving minuscule (from their POV) dancers with long costumes trailing behind them, seemingly flying or swimming through a gigantic bubble (evoking sperm racing each other to enter an egg). The assumption at the time was that Palpatine somehow knew that Anakin was the result of Plagueis' manipulations of the Force and that his mother, a poor slave, had somehow been impregnated by the Sith Master in order to create a being so powerful in the Force he would be able to annihilate the Jedi Order and give the Sith their revenge (which Anakin almost managed to do when he became Vader). The theory further explained Palpatine's strange obsession over Anakin as his desire to reclaim his old master's creation for himself to fulfil what Plagueis couldn't do, therefore proving his superiority. But however powerful, Vader was a diminished "ultimate Force user", not just because of his multiple debilitating injuries but also because of "the good in him" that Luke was able to call upon to turn him back to the light side and prevent the decade-long Sith's plan from coming to fruition.

However it's possible Anakin was not the only product of these Sith manipulations. What if Rey too was an experiment? She seems to fit the bill: Poor slave girl growing up on a backwater world where nobody will ask questions, born to nobodies - check. Intuitive understanding of the Force and ability to overpower other Force Users who have been training for years, check.

Rey could very well be Palpatine's own attempt at bettering his former master's experiments and creating an ultimate Force User to serve his dark purpose. If Anakin was Plagueis's 'son', Rey could be Palpatine's 'daughter'. A being born of the Force but unburdened by Anakin's severe injuries and his love for his mother and wife. True, Palpatine died before Rey was born but he still may have planted the figurative seed that grew into Rey before his death.

Interestingly, this trailer ends with Palpatine's satisfied laughter, as if to say that his shadow still hovers over the entire story, or even maybe that he finally gets what he wanted in that film... The rise of his very own Skywalker, maybe?

In the new EU, which Disney oversees to ensure the books, films, comics etc. all fit neatly into one canon, the term "Skywalker" is explained as originating from the mythology of an old race of beings who knew nothing about the Force but realised that some amongst them were able to call on supernatural cognitive abilities to pilot or guide their ships along dangerous space routes by seemingly sensing danger before it was encountered, hence "sky walking" their ships to safety. These Force sensitive people, for lack of a better term, were called Skywalkers. Of course, Anakin is often described as one of the best pilots in the galaxy, and both Luke and Rey exhibit the same natural talent when flying ships, even for the first time (Luke in A New Hope, guiding his X-Wing through the Death Star's trench, and Rey with the Millennium Falcon in The Force Awakens, skilfully evading a squadron of TIE fighters through the dunes and wrecks of Jakku).

If the name Skywalker originates from this ability in the new canon, it's entirely possible that the name in the title is not to be taken literally but could rather be referring to the title or position of that individual who is able to guide others through the sky with the Force as their ally.

A final thought? That old race which named their Force sensitive pilots Skywalkers is called the Chiss. The most well-known representative of that race in the Star Wars canon is none other than Admiral Thrawn, one of if not the greatest of Palpatine's military advisors and strategists.

Last edited:
The Crawling Chaos, I would've been very pleased with a trilogy starring Thrawn as the antagonist. That said, given how The Last Jedi turned out I'd now worry they'd ruin it.

I'll probably see Episode IX when it hits TV screens. I'm a rare cinema-goer most of the time anyway (saw Episode VIII on DVD).

I've got yo admit that I think Disney have really dropped the ball on their handling of the franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'll go and see it and I dare say that I'll enjoy it but the reliance on OT characters is disappointing and I think it's lazy and a little cheap.

I for one am not too keen on the title.

A few thoughts about the title and that enigmatic trailer.

After Episode III came out in 2005 and fans tried to find new ways to dissect the film they had already watched dozens of times to keep it fresh in their minds, a theory started to gain traction, fuelled by the opera house scene between Anakin and Palpatine.

In that scene, Palpatine recounts the old legend of a Sith named Darth Plagueis the Wise (actually a real character and Palpatine's first master) who would have found a way to manipulate the Force in order to "create life". As Palpatine says those very words, he turns to look at Anakin and smiles. Interestingly, they have this conversation in front of a ballet involving minuscule (from their POV) dancers with long costumes trailing behind them, seemingly flying or swimming through a gigantic bubble (evoking sperm racing each other to enter an egg). The assumption at the time was that Palpatine somehow knew that Anakin was the result of Plagueis' manipulations of the Force and that his mother, a poor slave, had somehow been impregnated by the Sith Master in order to create a being so powerful in the Force he would be able to annihilate the Jedi Order and give the Sith their revenge (which Anakin almost managed to do when he became Vader). The theory further explained Palpatine's strange obsession over Anakin as his desire to reclaim his old master's creation for himself to fulfil what Plagueis couldn't do, therefore proving his superiority. But however powerful, Vader was a diminished "ultimate Force user", not just because of his multiple debilitating injuries but also because of "the good in him" that Luke was able to call upon to turn him back to the light side and prevent the decade-long Sith's plan from coming to fruition.

However it's possible Anakin was not the only product of these Sith manipulations. What if Rey too was an experiment? She seems to fit the bill: Poor slave girl growing up on a backwater world where nobody will ask questions, born to nobodies - check. Intuitive understanding of the Force and ability to overpower other Force Users who have been training for years, check.

Rey could very well be Palpatine's own attempt at bettering his former master's experiments and creating an ultimate Force User to serve his dark purpose. If Anakin was Plagueis's 'son', Rey could be Palpatine's 'daughter'. A being born of the Force but unburdened by Anakin's severe injuries and his love for his mother and wife. True, Palpatine died before Rey was born but he still may have planted the figurative seed that grew into Rey before his death.

Interestingly, this trailer ends with Palpatine's satisfied laughter, as if to say that his shadow still hovers over the entire story, or even maybe that he finally gets what he wanted in that film... The rise of his very own Skywalker, maybe?

In the new EU, which Disney oversees to ensure the books, films, comics etc. all fit neatly into one canon, the term "Skywalker" is explained as originating from the mythology of an old race of beings who knew nothing about the Force but realised that some amongst them were able to call on supernatural cognitive abilities to pilot or guide their ships along dangerous space routes by seemingly sensing danger before it was encountered, hence "sky walking" their ships to safety. These Force sensitive people, for lack of a better term, were called Skywalkers. Of course, Anakin is often described as one of the best pilots in the galaxy, and both Luke and Rey exhibit the same natural talent when flying ships, even for the first time (Luke in A New Hope, guiding his X-Wing through the Death Star's trench, and Rey with the Millennium Falcon in The Force Awakens, skilfully evading a squadron of TIE fighters through the dunes and wrecks of Jakku).

If the name Skywalker originates from this ability in the new canon, it's entirely possible that the name in the title is not to be taken literally but could rather be referring to the title or position of that individual who is able to guide others through the sky with the Force as their ally.

A final thought? That old race which named their Force sensitive pilots Skywalkers is called the Chiss. The most well-known representative of that race in the Star Wars canon is none other than Admiral Thrawn, one of if not the greatest of Palpatine's military advisors and strategists.
I've read several interconnected fan theories that rely on interpretations of Palpatines words in that scene.
It would be nice if Disney did something along those lines, since most of the fan theories are a lot more compelling than the actual plot lines we've been getting.

Also, it us one of the few truly good aspects of the prequels, they might as well use the seeds it planted in the storyline moving forward.

Love Star Wars
Love the prequel Trilogy
Love the sequels so far
Love Rebels
Love The Clone Wars

Absolutely sprung now with anticipation. Looks amazing.

I was watching S3-6 of the Clone Wars whilst I was off work and when yoda goes to Korriban to find out how to manifest Force ghosts, it made me think "Why the hell do we never see any Sith Force ghosts?' Next day I saw the trailer... I also love the line about no one ever being really gone, because that has been my thought since the OT in 70s/80s. I might've been a young kid but I never got why all these people got upset about Jedi dying after hearing OB1 sahing 'Run Luke, run!' in the DS just after being killed. I assume Luke's line refers to Force ghosts.

Also I expect that's the second Death Star (and its explosion has kinda ruined parts of Endor (?)) because it maks more sense as Palps graveyard.

Basically, just so you know, EP9 is going to be an 18 certificate, and is a horror about Palp's unquiet spirit :D ;)

Mandalorian, Clone Wars S7, EP9... This year is going to be outstanding.

Looks exactly like another repeat of the past - spectacular scenery, weak storytelling. I'm sure it will be entertaining at the very least.

You will never get that feeling of awe and wonder that the OT engendered because we are simply not at the right age for it anymore. The newer movies (and by extension, the prequel trilogy) aren't made with us in mind. (There was a time when I thought that projects such as 1313 and the proposed Bounty Hunter TV series may have included a more adult tone, but alas not.)

I have enjoyed the movies so far, but I am in no way a fan and haven't felt any inclination to watch the movies multiple times as I have with the OT. Maybe it's just the natural cynicism of adulthood.

I will say that I love the thought of successive and newer generation of admirers to the Star Wars fan base.

Love Star Wars
Love the prequel Trilogy
Love the sequels so far
Love Rebels
Love The Clone Wars

Hmm, for me:
Love Star Wars
Like the prequel Trilogy
Loathed the sequels so far
Not fussed about Rebels or The Clone Wars (not actual movies).

Honestly, the sequels were crap and I now mentally pretend they don't exist so as not to sully my memory of the original movies. Wont bother to watch this new one! I enjoy the expanded universe books - much better story-lines making much more sense. Ep VIII was dreadful as a SW movie and I don't expect it to get any better with this one.

Hmm, for me:
Love Star Wars
Like the prequel Trilogy
Loathed the sequels so far
Not fussed about Rebels or The Clone Wars (not actual movies).

Honestly, the sequels were crap and I now mentally pretend they don't exist so as not to sully my memory of the original movies. Wont bother to watch this new one! I enjoy the expanded universe books - much better story-lines making much more sense. Ep VIII was dreadful as a SW movie and I don't expect it to get any better with this one.
I'm of the mind that there have been three and only three SW films.

I do agree that some of the extended universe books were very good.

Go in with the expectation that it will be a mediocre film but with some beautiful scenes, some amusing creatures, and the odd good line, and you might just enjoy it. Think about what could be, and you will likely be disappointed. (Though the forum posts explaining how bad the story was will leave you disappointed eventually anyway :D )

This further fuels my suspicion that the plot of the new trilogy was not mapped out beforehand. I doubt that Lando or Palpatine were originally meant to feature in this trilogy, and they have done everything they can to phase out the older cast they did use.

Looks like a lot of course correction has gone on behind the scenes.

I'll be watching the movie for sure, but to this day Im still not sure how I feel about The Last Jedi.

I believe that's been explicitly confirmed somewhere, they had no over-arching trilogy plot, and each director was going to essentially build off the previous one's script. Which is likely why JJ was brought back to salvage the fallout from Last Jedi, which is tied with Attack of the Clones for worst SW movie ever.

This trailer, and the more recent one, have me intrigued. I thought VII had its plusses and minuses but I enjoyed the way it treated the legacy characters while also providing engaging new ones. TLJ seemed to have no idea how to handle the classic characters, and failed to take advantage of the chemistry of the new ones. With allusions to Vader, Palpatine and Luke, as well as screentime for Leia and Lando, it sure seems like they're trying to play up the glory days this time around. Don't know if it will work, but I'm willing to find out.

I believe that's been explicitly confirmed somewhere, they had no over-arching trilogy plot, and each director was going to essentially build off the previous one's script. Which is likely why JJ was brought back to salvage the fallout from Last Jedi, which is tied with Attack of the Clones for worst SW movie ever.

This trailer, and the more recent one, have me intrigued. I thought VII had its plusses and minuses but I enjoyed the way it treated the legacy characters while also providing engaging new ones. TLJ seemed to have no idea how to handle the classic characters, and failed to take advantage of the chemistry of the new ones. With allusions to Vader, Palpatine and Luke, as well as screentime for Leia and Lando, it sure seems like they're trying to play up the glory days this time around. Don't know if it will work, but I'm willing to find out.
It boggles my mind that they didn't pre plan the entire trilogy before hand. That is the explanation for the majority of the shortcomings though. Failure to plan = planning to fail, as they say.

I would even have been curious to see an entire trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson. God knows what that would turn out like. It would probably have major flaws, but anything is better than having directors knocking down and pulling apart each others creations.

I'm expecting IX to be action heavy, with plenty of nostalgic call backs and nothing too complex plotwise. Something along the lines of JJs Star Trek movies.